Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Which input port is the correc port for me to use the TV screen

Which input port is the correc port for me to use the TV screen for a computer display? I have a Sony Wedge that is about 6 years old and an apple macbook.

I have the adapter for the computer to get the video out. I have used input 2 and 3 with no result.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

Do you have the model of both the Sony and the apple computer?

Can you describe me the "adapter" you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Computer is Apple MacBook
Sony is the Wedge Flat Screen...about 6 or 7 years old.
Sorry that ask you again, but i need more detailed model numbers (for example the Sony might look like hv32hs500 or be different). I don't need serial, just the model number.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Computer is Apple MacBook

Apple is Mac os x Version 10.5.7
Sony is KV27FS12
Adapter is Mini DVI to Video
Input 1 is SVideo probably shared with the normal video under it (usually only 1 of them can be used at one time).

Input 2 and 3 are normal video.

Input 4 is Component video (best quality, then come SVideo then normal video).

You need to cycle the input with the TV/Video button on the remote.

I would need more info on that converter. Is it a box, a simple strait cable? To convert to normal video you need to see a simple RCA/Composite jack (sound is not transmitted by DVI, you need to use headphone jack for this). If it have multi pin out, you can use SVideo, if it have red/green/blue connector you can use input 3 component connexion.

Depending on the kind of converter, you might have to lower the resolution to 640*480 on the computer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The adapter has a box with an s type connection and a simple vdeo out jack. I simply insert the yellow jacks in each video in receiver.
Ok i will move you to the Mac category to see if they can help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks...

You can use either port that takes the S-Video or the Yellow cable (not both at same time).

What you need to do though is go to the Apple Menu in the MacBook and then choose System Preferences. In here click on Displays and then click on Detect Displays button.

The video should now show on the TV if the input is set correctly.

Now, keep this in mind. The quality will suck. This is the worst way to use a TV from a computer. To get really good video out you need DVI and use a DVI to DVI cable and have a TV that has a DVI input port.

Also, in the Displays pref pane, you will need to use Mirror Displays if you wich to use it as a display, or turn off Mirroring to use it as a second display. To watch something on that TV, you drag a window from the Mac side to the TV side by dragging it to the TV on the Desktop in the Finder or whatever application you wish to use.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike,

This sounds good...finally.    I am now onto some other things and I may not get back to this for a few days.

Is there a way to come back to you if I run into issues trying to make this work. The Adapter is a DVI adapter, but the cable is standard and the input to the TV is a regular video input.

I will keep my expectations low.

Thanks

It will work, but like I said, don't expect sharp, computer screen detail. It will look OK, but not great. To improve it, you need a better input method.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do I need to improve the input method? Does Sony have an adapter to allow DVI input?
No. You need a TV/Display capable of higher resolution input other than Analog, ie Digital.

Not much you can do there.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I was away on other actvities. None of the answers provided are correct. The correct answer is that this MacBook does not display directly to another screen. The only way it can be done is to download the material to an ipod and then use the ipod to display to an external.

Not very satisfactory, buy that is what I learned. Even the people at the Apple store I spoke to did not know that. I have not tried it yet, but I am about to. I will accept your answer so you get paid.

Interesting concept. How did you get into this business?