Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

Bob, I thought I was able to open downloaded attachments but

Customer Question

Bob, I thought I was able to open downloaded attachments but I can not. Please help,   Joe Erl
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hello Joe,

What attachment are you trying to open? What is the name of the attachment? What do you think the attachment is? Is it a movie file? Or something else.

The only thing you need to do to open an attachment is to have the right application for that attachment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't matteer what kind of attachment it is. Movie, Word, acrobat. I can not open any attachments.
I can download them , but not open them,

Joe
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Joe, that does not make sense. The only issue in opening attachments is to help your Mac understand what kind of file it is so you pick the right application. Attachments from Word have a file name like filename.doc. Once your Mac knows that files that end in .doc open with Word then all you need to do is double click on the attachment. You tell your Mac ONCE to open .doc files with Word. To do that you right click on the attachment and choose OPEN WITH... then pick Word as the application that opens .doc files. If it is a .pdf then you can choose Acrobat OR Preview. If it is .mov then choose Quicktime, ETC.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob,
When I right click to open, the only options I'm given are:
Show in Finder
Copy address
Remove from List

I don't get the options you are suggesting
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Copy address?? What is the address of an attachment?? Can you forward me that email toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX?

You can Show in Finder and open it there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I try to open in   Show in Finder it tells me that it can not open in Finder.

I'll try to send you several emails with attachments at this address.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I have responded to each of your attachments. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of the attachments in the box say "Cannot create file" next to them whether mpg , pdf , or whatever
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
How do you read mail? Do you use Mac Mail? Are your using Thunderbird? a browser?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just through Safari
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Reset Safari. From the Safari menu choose Reset Safari and then put a check mark next to all of them EXCEPT cookies, passwords and autofill.
You should consider switching to Mac Mail. It is a much better way to manage your email.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob I reset Safari, but I was not given the options you suggested. It was rest or cancel. I reset and
was anxious to open an email attachment. I still cannot open a downloaded attachment.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I believe that it's a Safari issue. What do you think about using Mac Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get to use Mac Mail. Or what about Firefox?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I recommend Mac Mail. Firefox 3.5 is an easier fix for you because you'll have to set up Mac Mail, but that's not hard to do once you know your settings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you yhink Mac Mail is the better of the two I'll try that. How do I go about doing that?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You have an account with sbcglobal.net so go to this webpage; http://helpme.att.net/email/walkthrough/launch_new.html and it will walk you through it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob,

I didn't work on this over the weeekend. I did manage to set up another account but for some reason
it doesn't accept my new password XXXXX I entered it. I am still trying to get it to work. I think I'm close except for the password XXXXX

Joe
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Remember your password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive. Check your caplocks key or things like that. If necessary, you should be able to reset your password XXXXX sbcglobal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to call them to do that?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You should be able to reset your password. I think you can do it at this site; http://helpme.att.net/index.php
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried this site, entered my new email address and the account type but I got no response
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I'm not an SBCGlobal customer so I have not done this on their site, but most other providers give you a change password XXXXX that involves an email exchange to verify that it's you and change your password. It that doesn't work you need to call them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll try that, thanks.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
What did you learn?