Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Quicktime 7.6.2 and latest Flip4Mac. With.wmv files I gt audio

Customer Question

Quicktime 7.6.2 and latest Flip4Mac. With.wmv files I gt audio only, no video. Is there a fix available?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Some more info would help.
What version OS are you using?
What version Flip4Mac?
And when was the last update that was performed?
I use it also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

The flip4mac version is
Quicktime version is 7.6.2
OS X version is 10.5.7

The situation occurs only with certain WMV files and the situation is this:

1. Click to open the wmv file
  2. QT opens full screen and playback begins, but is audio only - all else is black & blank until I reduce the view to 1/2 size. Choosing actual size overscans the screen and only the header bar is visible (that's how the file initially opens).
  3. Sometimes a pop-up appears saying that QT may need additional add-ons to play the file and provides a link to the )apple) page, but no identification as to what's needed. It almost sounds like a codec problem?
  4. This only happens with some files while others play properly.
  5. I can send an example of a "problem" file, but it's about 145MB in size.
How this additional info helps!

Bill Gillan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Late breaking additional info

The recordings cusing the trouble are GoToMeeting recordings. I've just run into (and fixed) the problem in Windows media player running under Parrallels 4. The fix was to download and install the GoToMeeting codec for Windows.

Now the question is how to download the mac equivalent and install into QuickTime or Flip4Mac. Hope this additional informaion helps.

Bill Gillan
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I just checked the Apple site and found that as far as I can tell your machine meets or excess the min standards for using GoToMeeting. I don't understand the recorded part. Did you record these files or did someone else? Have you downloaded and installed GoToMeeting for Mac? That may or may not be affecting the playback.
Have you asked the GoToMeeting people? It may be they have what you need.
Based on the info provided this is the best answer I have.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

You didn't really solve my problem, but I'm accepting anyway. I know you can't expect the world fro $9.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I did my best with what I had. One last suggestion and this is for free.
Do you have QuickTime pro? If not I suggest that you get it. I have it and even though I don't always use it it does have unseen benefits.