MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

trying to turn on my MAC book pro....just white screen some

Customer Question

trying to turn on my MAC book pro....just white screen some odd noises then flashing folder?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
Thanks for your reply.

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode to see if we can't remove a possible folder(s) that may be affecting your Mac's start up function.
try these steps:

• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while
(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)

You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop enviroment the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still have the OSX installer disk in and it seems to want to reboot this when restarting> When I hold the shift button, the apple eventually comes to the screen but then the screen goes grey with some text

debugger called <panic> and it says I need to restart the computer. Is there a way to get the disk out and try
Thanks for your reply. That screen you saw was a kernel panic issue and we need to address this using this procedures below:

The SMC (System Management Controller) is a computer chip built on the logic board of Mac portables. It is responsible for power management of the computer.

Here are the steps I recommend you try:

• If the computer is on, turn it off.
• Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then
release the button.
• Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
• Press the power button to restart the computer

Try this process and see if this can help remove the white screen issue from your Macbook Pro.

I will await your update. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The computer is still booting to the installer disk, asking me to choose a language, agree with terms and conditions, then verify destination? nothing to choose from> How do I get this disk out and see if the computer will reboot

To get the disk out all you need to do is restart your Macbook Pro and once it restarts
immediately hold down the Media eject button on your Macbook Pro until the disc ejects.

But before you do that, click the Go back button until you reach the Installer screen

• From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac
and then proceed to use the above steps to eject the disc in your Macbook Pro's Superdrive.

I have another procedure for you to try should your Macbook Pro still not boot up properly.

One more thing: Can you provide me the processor speed of your Macbook Pro?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not sure of processor speed. I went to the disk utility and it showed the hard drive, however the only option was verify permissions the repair disk was greyed out, When I hit verify it stated no packages
Ok thanks for that update, that is what I was wondering about.

The reason for the for the white screen in this instance appears to possibly be your hard drive. This would explain why you are unable to boot up to the
normal Mac OS X desktop.

Is your Macbook Pro new to the extent that it is still under limited warranty and /or 3 year Applecare Protection plan coverage? (Just inquiring)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
computer is about 2 years old. Still cant get the disk out , Each time it reboots the disk is not rejected> I have not backed up the hard drive and there is tons of important info> Anything else we can try to get disk out and try > What does not available package mean when I try to repair and it says verify permissions
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, had to step away for a moment.

Another 2 ways to attempt to eject your disc from your Superdrive

• Restart your Mac holding down the trackpad on your Macbook Pro, until the disc ejects.

• One other option is to simply let your Mac sit for approx. 10-15 minutes idle and if the portable can go to sleep it may eject the disc.

I also would like you to attempt to run a verification and repair of your hard drive
using fsck.

Start up your computer in Single-User Mode to reach the command line by doing this:
•Make sure your Mac is shutdown.
• Reboot your Mac
• When Mac starts up, press the Apple Command key+ S Key
- A black screen, with white text appears
• At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy
• Press Return.
--fsck will run through a series of tests and will return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. When completed, it will display this message if no issue is found:

The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning, until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

• When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.
• This last command after completing the fsck process, is going to attempt to boot your Mac to the main desktop.

This is a crucial process in regards XXXXX XXXXX will be determined next for troubleshooting your Macbook Pro.

One more additional thing: If you remove your battery from the Macbook Pro's battery bay, on the inside of that bay is a tag providing serial#, as well as model, processor speed, etc. Getting that processor speed determined for your Macbook Pro, will also allow me to resource more info about your particular model of Macbook Pro, from the resource database I use.

Keep me posted I will be watching for your update. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried this however not until this am and had not taken the disk out and it ran the test saying the disk was ok. Now when I reboot (disk out) and hold down the command and s key it goes to the white screen with flashing folder, no black screen.

ser# XXXXX
2.33 GHz
Core 2 Duo/2GB/256 MB
Vram / 160 GB    5400 rpm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
any update
Hello thanks for the details about your Macbook Pro. That helped me in researching this issue in the available resources I had to review on this particular model.

The fact that you continue to get white screens despite the use of the SMC Reset, Disk Utility and fsck command line repair utility, signifies that this issue could be relative
to a possible issue with your hard drive not being seen.

So my recommendation for this issue, is that you use the Archive and Install procedure to resolve this issue.

What this process consists of (using your Mac OS X install disc),is removing the damaged or corrupted Mac OS X directory and replacing it with a brand new directory. This should also hopefully do away with the white screen issue and the flashing screen with the folder

This procedure also allows you to save your applications, files and folders without the old directory interferring with you then accessing those files.

• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. Please remember to use the install disc that matches the current operating system your system haves.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
• Hold the C key until you see a White screen, with a Gray Apple icon and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.

-Your mac will now boot from the disc and load into the Installer environment.

• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X
window appears.

• Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
• Follow the prompts until you get to the licensing agreement screen
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. Then Select a Destination window appears.
• Click the volume that you wish to install to (your primary
hard drive).
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Select Archive and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
• You should also select Preserve Users and Network
, to preserve network and Home directory
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
• Once the Archive and Install is completed, when you reach your desktop be
sure to run all Software updates to bring your new Mac OS X directory back
up to current.

Also, if you look inside your Macintosh HD icon on your Desktop, look for a folder entitled "Previous System Folder" which will have all of your previous Home folder files prior to the Archive and Install.

Here is the link (below) from Apple for more information about how to locate the Previous System Folder

How to locate Previous System Folder (after Archive and Install)

NOTE: If your Macintosh HD is still not visible when you attempt the Archive and Install, I would consider the issue as a hardware issue and should be taken in to
your local Apple Retail Store or an Apple authorized service center in your area.

Just for your reference, I have taken the liberty to provide the store locator links to your local Apple Retail store as well as a general store locator for locating any local Apple Authorized Service center in your area.

Apple Retail Store (Genius bar)
Apple Authorized Service Provider

Thanks very much for your patience. I hope the Archive and Install procedure is the fix that is needed for this issue. Keep me posted!