MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I am new to MAC. I have an iMAC and OS X operating system.

Customer Question

I am new to MAC. I have an iMAC and OS X operating system. I have a Bamboo pen tablet. I am using the Bamboo mouse and pen and having and issue when I left click and drag. Instead of the normal function a sticky opens up on its own. This happens ion the internet or in any adobe application or when I try to enlarge a window. However, it does not happen in MAC's version of Word. I have been trying to stop stickies from popping for 3 days straight now. I can't use the Adobe products until I fix this error.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Which model of Bamboo Tablet and Mouse are you using?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using Mac OS X 10.5.7.

I am using Bamboo Fun. Tablet Model Number is XXXXX Mouse Model Number is XXXXX

Thanks.
No worries glad to assist.

Considering the issues you are describing appear to be more software related than hardware, one of the first recommendations however, I would make is that run the latest hardware driver update for Bamboo Fun - developed by Wacom on 04/09/2009. I stress this especially considering you have the Mac OS X 10.5.7 update running on your Mac.

Bamboo Fun Hardware Driver update v5.1.1.1 (for PPC & Intel Mac OS X 10.4-10.5)

Once you have updated the hardware driver which by the way should also impact the functionality of your mouse, run Disk Utility process listed below.

-RUN DISK UTILITY -

• From your desktop,
•Click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop.
Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From Finder menu bar, click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair permissions until completion
(This is not often a necessary step, but in the many of the hands-on software and Mac OS X troubleshooting I have done on Macs, I almost always run it just because it does repair alot of the permissions on files which can sometimes affect how certain applications, files and folders work. It also improves your Mac's performance a bit too:)

Once you have completed Disk Utility, quit the application.

Now attempt to use the Bamboo Fun tablet as you have before and let me know if the driver update helped in any way.

Keep me posted, I will be awaiting your reply. Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you said and there were quite a bit of repairs, but it did not fix the problem I am having.

I wasn't sure if I down loaded the driver correctly, but when I went into the Disk Utility I saw the file name there, so I assume after I downloaded the file, the file was saved in the right spot.

This is so frustrating.
Thanks for your reply, and I do understand how frustrating this can be, however, I am going to work with you on this issue as diligently as possible.

Now when you downloaded the driver for your Bamboo Fun pen tablet,
unless you have downloaded the driver to a different folder, you should see
this icon. Double click it to launch the icon,
graphic

And you will see a window open with a number of folders and this package
as show here:

graphic

•Double click the package to start the installation process.

** I have not provided all of the screens you will below, because you are going
to simply click through each screen until you see the select your hard drive screen.

graphic

• When you reach this page, select your hard drive and
click Continue.

graphic

• From here the installation screen will come up and start the installation
of your Updated Bamboo Fun driver.

Have you tried this? If you have gotten to this point, then you have already installed the software driver, if you have not, then try the steps above and let me know if this makes a difference.

I will be watching for your update on the Pen tablet driver installation.

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay - I had that icon but I did not install. It is now installed but still having the same issue.

Do I need to run the Disk Utility again?

One other question. When I go to run the disk Utility, I see the pen tablet driver I installed and then pen tablet as a sub category under this listing. It is its own group separated from the Mac Volume. I am not able to run the Disk Repair when I select the pen tablet /driver (it is grayed out), but I can run the Disk verify. Do I need to do this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to restart the computer? I don't want to loose this post?
Thanks for your reply. No, you are ok and at the present there is no need to reboot your Mac.

When you access Disk Utility you need to select the Macintosh HD Volume that you see in the left side bar. Then run Repair Permissions.

• Important note for you when running Disk Permissions, do not worry yourself about
the lines of repairs that are being made by this utility.

What you need to be able to see is that the permission repairs have been successful
and there is nothing in red (indicating a damaged volume.)

So try this again, using the Mac OS X Volume.

I will be here watching for your reply. Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I am running the Macintosh HD line item. I am not sure what you mean by volume, but I selected the name Macintosh HD and then selected run repair.

Thank you for being patient. I appreciate it.

Everything is repaired but I still have the problem.

Is there are way to uninstall stickies and then try reinstalling stickies? But I would have to be able to get the stickies application somewhere I guess for free?
Not a problem. It is my pleasure to further assist you.

Volume by the way is just that space on your hard drive that holds your operating system, or even more plain, everything you see and know on your Mac.

Unfortunately there is no way to reinstall the Stickies as this is what is known as a built-in application for your Mac OS X system.

If you remove the Stickies application from your iMac's Applications folder you would have to reinstall the Mac OS X operating system software to get it back.

On the other side of this issue, I have been researching and working to understand how to attach select applications and also to remove their functionality from the use of the Pen tablet.

From your end, has there been a way that you are able to use the Bamboo Fun Control Panel, to add or remove applications?

I have the Bamboo Owner's Manual, and I see the pictures of the Control Panel, yet I do not see how to add or remove applications for the tablet.

Awaiting your feedback, thanks!

-TD

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I fell asleep. I would not want to remove stickies then. I am not sure about removing applications for the tablet. I know how to create short cuts on the pen, mouse, and tablet, but no way of removing or adding applications. I'm at a lost for that one.
No worries. I am here late night again and I have to admit, I am unsure
how to proceed with the Application issue.

From what I have studied via the Bamboo Fun manual, it looks like the Control Panel for the pen tablet allows you to adjust the functions and behaviors of the Pen tablet, but I could not locate any function to add or remove applications.

When you first got the Bambook Fun pen tablet, did it seem like the tablet just worked with some applications and not so with others?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time and help. I called Apple and they couldn't help me and then I called the Bamboo help line and finally he was able to fix the problem. Apparently, in the MAC ink application, I had to turn the handwriting tool off. This solved the problem. So if anyone ever has this problem again, you know the secret. You did help me install a driver and do the disk utility, so I will accept so you can receive payment. Thank you so much for your effort and time. I really appreciate it and might be back if I ever have another question.
My pleasure! And thanks so much for the Accept! I also appreciate you updating me about this issue, because I have learned something new in the process regarding just how to work with the Bamboo Fun pen tablet shoud this issue arise again with another Mac User. Thank youCustomerfor that!

We are always glad to provide the answers that will help you with your Mac technical needs. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-TD