Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

The internet connection has to be re-esablished (via airport)

The internet connection has to be re-esablished (via airport) at least two times a day, since I added a 24" iMac to my wireless internet in my home. I have a MacBook Pro, which my son mainly uses now, and I forgot to earlier mention that I also have an iPod touch, that can also connect to the internet, in my home. I no longer use it, when a computer is on, because I am certain to loose connection. I suspect that I have too much competition for my router to handle.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
If you could tell me what router you are using (Apple, Linksys, etc) that would help.
Also what OSs are you running? 10.5.x or 10.4.x.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, My router is a D-Link 802.11g/2.4Ghz.

MacBook Pro is running on 10.4.11
iMac is running on 10.5.7
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
One more question, maybe two.
Are you connected via a Cable Modem, DSL or other ISP? I am not sure what is dropping the connection, the router or the modem. If it is the router I would see if D-Link has a firmware update, this is an easy fix if it works.
If the connection is stable from the computers and iPod to the router then I would suspect the modem.
If that is not stable then it may be time for a new router.
I have 5 computers, two iPod Touches, one PS3 and an XBox 360 using one router with 3 access points.
My main router is an Apple Airport Extreme with a Belkin wireless router as an extended wireless and wired access point with a Belkin switch to the XBox.
I have had to reset the Cable Modem much more often that any of the others.
I am not telling you to scrap what you have but do check that all are up to date with firmware and software.
Hope this helps.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
One more question. Are all devices using wireless?
<br />Also how new is the iMac?
I notice that the router is listed as 'g', does it have 'b' or 'n' capabilities?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
It may be that the iMac, by sending all those requests, it overwhelming the router. Try running an ethernet cable from the iMac to the D=Link to eliminate the wireless aspect.
Sometimes finding the cause can be lots of trying and failing.
Just do it one thing at a time so that each part can be eliminated. It helps narrow it down.