MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have a mac OSX version 10.4.11. My office computer has the

Customer Question

I have a mac OSX version 10.4.11. My office computer has the gotomypc.com access software to allow for remote access, supposedly from any computer. However, from my Mac OSX, I will access my office computer, begin to do my work and then the computer freezes and I am locked out, the computer is no longer accessing.   What is causing this problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• Is this the first time you are using GoToMyPC from your 10.4.11 Mac?

• Also what type of computer are you attempting to access in your office, that has the GoToMyPC remote access software installed on it?

•Lastly are you receiving any error messages (prior to the computer freezing)
that pop up during the attempted remote session?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been dealing with this problem ever since I bought my Mac. Do you have a remedy for procrastination? I access my Dell Server at the office. I cannot tell you the make, etc. right now. I receive no error messages before the computer freezes. By the way I can continue using my Mac on other programs notwithstanding I am locked out of gotomypc
Thanks for your reply Doug. No need for the make of the computer, the fact that is is the Host and a server at that was enough.

I am actually quite familiar with Citrix products myself. I used to be a beta tester for some of their newer remote support products this past year.

While being a beta tester, I found that their Host/Client relationships were more PC to PC friendly and more lukewarm in PC to Mac "friendliness" in regards XXXXX XXXXX Host (PC) and the Mac (Client) relationship (just like the same type of Host/Client relationship you are currently working with for example).

Going a step further to research this issue for you, I found these System Requirements for Macs using GoToMyPC as Clients only:
(Citrix offers no Host options for Macs at all):

Client Computer with Universal Viewer for Mac®
• Mac OS 10.3.9 or newer,
• Firefox 1.0 or newer and Microsoft Runtime for Java (MRJ) 2.2.5 or newer
• Recommended: Mac OS X with Safari™ 1.0 or newer or Firefox 1.0 or newer;
Sun Java

So considering you are having an issue accessing the Dell Server with your Access code which hosts GoToMyPC for you to access, the issue has to be with the copy of GoToMyPC that is on the server and its ability to authenticate your Access code in order to gain access to the dell server. What's more, even as you have explained that when you are able to actually connect with the Dell Server, the freezing issue begins, says alot.

I say this even though this is completely from a technical speculative standpoint, that the client software for GoToMyPC is not too good with the Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS X 10.5 platforms and this is a fact.

Even when I was testing the newest applications for Citrix I was on the phone at times, speaking with some of the Citrix engineers I acquainted with, picking their brains as to the future of better firmware/software client (and possibly Host support) for Macs using their SAAS (software as a service) platform. I got the "development in the works for improving Host/Client relationship for Macs speech" but not much else.

• So for you Doug, I would recommend a few things:

• Check in your office with the Administrator responsible for the Dell Server and its GoToMyPC application content (or if you have Administrator access to the server), to see if you may need to reset your Access Code.

•Also check to see if the Dell Server does have the latest software update for GoToMyPC installed.

•Lastly, if this issue persists, you may want to research Citrix VPN options with your office Admininstrator(s), which I do know the client software works very well with Macs.

There really is no other way to go about this other than to check these items
your Mac freezing more often than not when you do authenticate through GoToMyPC
points to just that permissions and authentication issues from the server side.

Please reply back to this post if you have more questions regarding the answer that I have provided, I am always ready to assist as far as I am able.

Thanks for your patience, I await your reply.

-TD

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Thank you for your Accept Doug!

I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

Please feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

Thank you again!

Sincerest Regards,

-TD