Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I CONNECT MY IPHONE TO MY IMAC TO GRAB THE MUSIC BUT IT DOES

Customer Question

I CONNECT MY IPHONE TO MY IMAC TO GRAB THE MUSIC BUT IT DOES NOT POP UP I PHONE WHEN YOU CONNECT/WHATS WRONG FOR MY IMAC?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Are you trying to sync your iTunes on your Mac onto the iPhone?

If so can you tell us what type of iPhone you have and what version of iTunes you are using?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3gs and version 8.2
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

When you plug your iPhone into your Mac does it show up on the left hand toolbar of your Itunes window?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

When you connect the phone does the display change if you leave it alone for a minute or so?

Does it show a charge display, a sync page or just the normal slide to unlock message?

Also what type of iMac do you have, Is it a newer flat panel machine or an older rounded base machine?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no the display doesnt change and does not show the charge display and type of imac i am using newer flat panel
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me if you are connecting the iPhone directly to the USB ports on the back of the machine or are you using firewire or a USB hub?

Also can you tell me if your iPhone has ever connected to your machine?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it connect now in the back on the back of machine
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

So you can verify you are using the USB ports not firewire and can you also let me know if your iPhone has ever connected to your mac?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not ever connected to my imac coz just bouhgt my iphone
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case with the phone unplugged can you first press and hold down the Home (bottom center) and power buttons (Top Right) on the iPhone for a full 15 seconds, During that time the phone should power off then come on and then power off again.

Once it has powered off the second time can you then wait about 5 seconds then press the power button for 2 seconds and let the phone power up all the way to the desktop.

Once up to the desktop can you then try to connect it to your Mac again then wait 30 seconds and let me know if it beeps or changes the display.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i heard the beep but no change display
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Did iTunes open by itself when you connected the iPhone?

If you already had iTunes open can you disconnect the iPhone and listen for the chirup/beep then close iTunes and wait 30 seconds then try connecting your iPhone to a different USB port an let me know if it then beeps and opens iTunes within approx 2 minutes.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no itunes open when i connect iphone but i heard the beep
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you disconnect your iPhone then shut down your Mac, Once it has turned off can you wait 20 seconds then power it back up, As soon as you let go of the power button can you press and hold down the SHIFT key and keep it held till you see the load icon appear under the Apple logo then let go and wait approx 5-10 minutes for your amc to Safe Boot.

Once the machas Safe Booted can you just restart like normal then let the machine open all the way up and try connecting your iPhone again then let m eknow what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi Eric, i just did what u say,but still not working
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did but it wont work
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First, may I ask why you opted the Expert out when he was working with you?

Also, if this phone has never connected to this Mac, and is new, has it been connected to ANY other Mac/PC at all since you bought it?

Are you using the cable that came with your new iPhone and not an older cable?

Are you sure it is in a USB port?