Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

My Imac G4 DVD reads some disk, but not other. No particular

My Imac G4 DVD reads some disk, but not other. No particular pattern. Any idea?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Since this Mac is pretty old in computer years, I have to say one of three things has gone wrong:

1. Lens is dirty on either or both or the lasers. Get a DVD lens cleaner disk and run it in there for a minute and see if it helps. - You already tried this.

2. Laser for the DVD side has gone weak. It has 2 lasers, one for the CDs and one for the DVDs. As they age they get weaker or simply die. This may be happening.

3. Laser alignment is off. Maybe some mechanism in the unit is wearing out and now the laser is not aligning perfectly on the disc causing it to fail to read correctly.

2 of the 3 require a new drive, which is not too hard, but pretty dauniting in those Macs.

Try the 1st method again and see if it improves. If it does not, a service for the Mac is in order.

If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!