MarcusTheMacGenius, Mac Genius
Experience:  7+ years experience, former Mac Genius, Apple Certified by Apple Inc.

I am running OSX 10.5.7. I already have one external HD set

I am running OSX 10.5.7. I already have one external HD set up to do back-ups with time machine. My internal HD has about 20 GB's left of space. I have another external HD ready to go. I want to use this HD as my main HD and boot from it, and reserve the space that is left on the internal drive.

I am pretty sure this involves loading Safari 10.5 on the new external. I am not sure how to go about it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MarcusTheMacGenius replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe I can help you. The best thing to do is to go ahead and remove the Time Machine Drive and plug in the external hard drive you want to boot from. I'm assuming this drive is clean or you don't mind formatting it and losing all of its information? Also what size is the internal drive and what size is the external drive that you want to boot from?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I turned the time machine drive off, and turned off its HD. The other HD Marcus, I will be back in 20 minutes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The internal drive is 232 GB capacity. The external drive to boot from is 1 TB
Ok we're going to use Carbon Copy Cloner ( to make an exact copy of your internal drive to your external drive. Then once this process is complete, and before rebooting, open System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select the external drive that now has the copy and click reboot. This should tell the mac to boot from our new copy on the external drive. You can ensure you are booted from the external drive by clicking the apple icon in the top left then hitting about this mac. Your shartup disk should say the name of your external drive.