MarcusTheMacGenius
MarcusTheMacGenius, Mac Genius
Experience:  7+ years experience, former Mac Genius, Apple Certified by Apple Inc.
19182105

mac book pro 17 inch will not start up black screen, no chimes,makes

Customer Question

mac book pro 17 inch will not start up black screen, no chimes,makes a sound like drive is trying for about 1 quick second tried taking out battery
light stays on not in a blinking sleep mode we are too far from apple
store and depend on it for our photo business hope you can help
Category: Mac
Expert:  MarcusTheMacGenius replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe I can help you. Can you please provide me with the following information?

--Which Mac OS X version are you using?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i believe 10.4 whatever came installed on the oct 2007 laptop
When you boot the screen is black and the sleep light is on, correct? Does that light make any blinking patterns?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
stays on no blinks at all
Ok first lets reset your SMU (System Management Controller) to see if it fixes our problem.

1)Connect the power adapter to a working power source.
2)On the built-in keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
3)Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the computer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nothing happens
I noticed you booted up with only the bottom ram, did you try booting with only the top ram as well? Test boot with each stick of ram in one slot alone each time to ensure that each stick and each ram slot is functioning correctly. Also what happened just before it wouldn't boot? Were there any other symptoms you noticed before hand, or were you in the middle of installing updates?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tried both ram slots.          had finished burning movie.      closed computer.   would not start up 3 days later when i tried to start it.
Next Reset your PRAM and NVRAM

1)Shut down the computer.
2)Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3)Turn on the computer.
4)Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5)Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Try booting now. If not, lets see if you are able to boot from the install cd's that came with the computer.

1) Find the Install or Restore disc that came with the computer. Insert the Software Install and Restore disc into your CD/DVD drive.
2) Shut down your computer.
3) Once it's off, hold down the C key on the keyboard and start up your computer. This will start up the computer from the Software Install and Restore disc instead of your hard drive.
4) If you see video when started up from disc, you may have corrupted software. You can use the Archive and Install feature of the Mac OS X installer to reinstall. This kind of installation gives you a fresh version of Mac OS X, but you don't lose any data from the computer as your old information is all archived.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did not work i did this didnt get any screen or start up chime
Is the ram installed the original apple ram that came with it, or are you using 3rd party ram?
If the ram is the original ram that came with the computer then it sounds like you are suffering from the Nvidia video chip failure. You'll have to take your MBP to the apple store or call apple support (1-800-apl-care) and they will set you up with replacing your logic board. Even if you are out of your one year warranty they should still cover you. It is a known issue that they are paying the bill on. Please consult this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377) for more information about the issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wish there had been another fix on this problem but I was afraid not I've been on the net all day and had
already tried all the things you suggested guess i was hoping for something i could do to save myself
from traveling 3 hrs one way. thanks maybe next time
If you are that far away from an apple store I would call apple care (1-800-apl-care) and demand they send out a box for you to mail it to their depot in texas or tennessee. Seriously, if one rep doesn't work, hang up and try again. They can do this. The good news is that they will pay for it even if your out of apple care warranty. I would suggest (if possible of course) trying to boot your machine into target disk mode by hold T when you start up and plugging your macbook pro into another mac to see if the hard drive will mount to its desktop. Back up your software if possible. Good Luck!