MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Can I retrieve deleted emails (webmail trash was also empt

Customer Question

Can I retrieve deleted emails (webmail trash was also emptied)?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Also, aside from webmail are you using the Mac OS X Mail application to send and recieve email ?
(it is the application that has the Stamp icon)
graphic

• Finally, could you provide me the name of your email service? (i.e .Mac/MobileMe, Gmail, AOL, Verizon, etc)

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Greetings TD

Mac OS X 10.5.6

I do not use Mac OS X Mail application

email service provided by cox.net
HiCustomerand thanks for your update and reply.

As long as you have not deleted the Trash from your Mac OS X Mail application,
the deleted files will actually sit in the Trash but are still accessible.

graphic

• All you need to do if you want to restore any Trashed email back to your inbox or another Mail folder you may have, is to simply drag the mail back into the inbox or that respective folder.

However, if the Trash in your Mac OS X Mail application for your Cox email account has been emptied, and the Trash is blank (no emails present) then that does mean your emails have been completely deleted.

Also,unfortunately the Tech you spoke with, would be correct in stating that your deleted mail is no longer accessible, because even though you are using Mac OS X Mail for your Cox email, this application is simply a conduit of sorts, to allow you to access your Cox account that your would otherwise have to access via a web browser, like Safari or Firefox for example.

What this means is that whether you empty trash from Mac OS X Mail or from the Cox website for the webmail, once you empty the Trash and not just delete the emails from the inbox, that removes the deleted emails from the servers of Cox.net.

So unless can retrieve the files on their side, there is no way to retrieve the emails I'm afraid.

My only recommendation at future preventive maintenance is to keep your deleted emails in the Trash as they are not really taking up a great deal of space, until you absolutely have to empty your Trash.

Believe me, I learned this the hard way myself, and so now, that is the way I process my trashed email, unless I am absolutely sure I need to empty the Trash.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you on this subject, as I am glad to assist.

Warmest Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much for your help. I will heed your advice concerning my trash folder.
Thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

Please feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

Thank you again!

Sincerest Regards,

-TD