Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college

My computer (Mac) keeps getting kicked off the internet even

Customer Question

My computer (Mac) keeps getting kicked off the internet even though it is still directly connected to the router. This happens all the time, very frequently, when the computer goes idle even for less than 3-5 minutes. What is causing this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I have some questions before I can provide you with an answer.

Does this happen to more then one computer?

What OS are you running? ie. 10.4.11 or 10.5.6

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OS   10.5
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Does this happen on more then one computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, just on my Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Set service order and disable unused network devices

Click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose System Preferences

Click on Network

At the bottom left there is a picture of a gear icon click on this and choose set service order. Set the one you use most often first and so forth. Use the gear icon again to disable any devices you never use for the internet such as a modem.

Put your computer to sleep and let me know if it connects back to the internet now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I put the computer to sleep, I got kicked off immediately
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
You had mentioned that you are running 10.5

I would run software update to update your system to 10.5.7

Click on the Apple in the top left and choose software update.

Once it is updated, try putting to sleep again and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, wasn't clear earlier....my system is 10.5.7
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
ok great, lets move ahead.

1. Go to System Preferences–>Network
2. Click on location and edit and click the plus sign to add a new location.
3. Set service order again and disable network devices you do not use.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did all that......set service order to 1) ethernet 2) Airport (off) and 3) built in modem.......and put the computer to sleep as before. Immediately kicked off the internet again
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
I apologize for telling you to put your computer to sleep. Doing so will disconnect your network connection and it will have to be reestablished when it wakes back up.

Instead of putting it to sleep, just leave it sitting there and come back to it. See if it loses it on idle.