MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Hi, I am trying to transfer video from my Sony camcorder to

Customer Question

I am trying to transfer video from my Sony camcorder to my Mac laptop. I can't get iMovie to recognize the USB cable. However Garageband does recognize the cable. Is there what am I not doing correctly with regard to the settings?

Jay
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Can you also provide me what model of Mac you have and what the processor speed is?
( Again If not sure how to check the processor speed of your Mac- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will also see your processor info in small window)

• May I also have the specific Sony Camcorder model that you have?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TD,

Here is the information you have requested.

OS X 10.5.2

Model Name:     Mac
Model Identifier:     MacBook4,1
Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:     2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors:     1
Total Number Of Cores:     2
L2 Cache:     3 MB
Memory:     1 GB
Bus Speed:     800 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version:     1.31f0

Sony DCR-HC20 NTSC

Jay

Thanks for your reply Jay.

I have taken some time to work and unravel the possible reasons for why your Sony DCR-HC20 is not working with your Macbook 2.1 Ghz portable.

graphic
Sony DCR-HC20 NTSC

As it turns out, your Macbook with Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard system, nor iMovie '08 or '09 whichever application you have, does not support this camcorder unfortunately.

Below I have even provided the links of the only available Camcorder compatibility lists from Apple for both versions of iMovie for your review.

I checked both lists over several times each and did not see your camcorder supported. This means that there will be questionable if not, simply no function as you noticed with your camcorder in interacting with your Macbook, with 10.5.2 Leopard and iMovie.

iMovie '08 Camcorder Support (Apple camcorder compatibility list)
iMovie '09 Camcorder Support (Apple camcorder compatibility list)

So to answer your question, this is the primary reason why your Macbook with Leopard 10.5.2 is not working with your model of Sony Camcorder.

If you have more questions regarding this issue, please feel free to reply back this post. I am always glad to assist. Thanks!

Regards,

-TD
working
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

Please feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

Thank you again!

Sincerest Regards,

-TD