Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

my imac (just 14 months old) suddenly will not reboot, all

my imac (just 14 months old) suddenly will not reboot, all I get is the running clock under the apple, I had to force quit because my screen froze, which hardly ever happens. Is there a way to "safe start"
You might have to reinstall the operating system but first let's try a few things.

Reset the PRAM. Reboot and immediately press and hold these four keys; OPTION APPLE P R
Keep those key down until you hear the Mac Chime at least three times then let the keys up.
If it comes up then run the Disk Utility Program in your Utilities folder and verify your hard drive.

Let me know how that turns out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Before I reset the PRAM, won't that destroy my desktop? My wife had lots of stuff there, I recall that this may wipe out some files, Can you advise before I try this?
No Resetting PRAM will not effect your files.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My keys don't have an apple, but I assume it is Option, Command key, and PR keys . I did that, hear three chimes, but the clock under the apple is turning with no desk top. I assume that you want me to install my original disks ? won't that wipe my hard drive?
The next step is to boot from your system CD. But if you do it right noting will happen to your files. Insert the CD and restart your computer. Immediately press and hold the C key on your keyboard until you see the Apple logo on the screen. Once the computer comes up answer the language question and run the Disk Utility program from the Utilities Menu. Choose the button Repair Hard Drive and Repair File Permissions.

After that try to reboot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will not have access to the system CD until tomorrow, so I will have to accept your advice. I would however like to let you know if this resolved my problem. let me know if you are interested in finding out what happened. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, when you come back to justanswer.com log in and choose MY QUESTIONS in the upper right side. It will bring you right back to this thread.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One last question, since we moved our stuff is really scattered, I just tried and failed to find my disks for the iMac, but I did find my 2008 install disks for my laptop with 10.5.2 what would happen if I installed that OS in my imac?