Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

why is the video on this site not visible to me If I use Safari

Customer Question

why is the video on this site not visible to me? If I use Safari I can see the window with the video and play it with no problem. This happens on many links I receive, and I always have to go to Safari in order to view the videos...!!!! Is it a Firefox setting issue?
http://www.familyhack.com/2007/08/29/drain-tip/
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer1010 replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Which version of firefox are you using ?

Please goto this link : LINK
And tell me if Flash is installed or not.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have version 3.0.10 of Firefox installed.

I went to the link you suggested and it 'found no suitable plugins'... i still managed to download Shockwave_Installer_Slim...(Should I install it?)

Why can I view the same video on Safari with no problem?

Hi !!

Please goto this link : LINK and install the Adobe flash plugin.

Then again goto the old link to check if it shows Flash installed. Also, go ahead and install the Shockwave plugin

Some software component is either missing or corrupt in your Firefox. Thats the only reason. Dont worry.

Let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Andy,
I downloaded and installed (I think) both the Adobe and the Shockwave plugins. Then I went to the old link and I still can't see the video box, while it appears instantly in Safari...
What should I do????
C
Hi !!

The next thing you should try is, uninstall firefox (control panel > add remove programs) .

Then goto this link :
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.0.7&os=win⟨=en-US
When you get a message box, just RUN it.

When you receive the file fully, it will start installation.

Now restart computer and start firefox and see if problem persists ?

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have an Imac, version 10.5.7.
Where is the control panel?
I have system preferences... or should I just dump the firefox application in the trash?
Hi !!
  1. Open the Applications folder.
  2. Drag the Firefox application to the Trash.

Your uninstall of Firefox is finished.

Now restart computer and install fresh firefox

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

did exactly what you suggested:
dumped Firefox, restarted, and I am still not showing the video...

Hi !!

I will forward this to Mac category. I didnt know you are using a Mac in begining.

Someone should be with you soon.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, let me know soon. I will be out all day in the afternoon...
Thanks,
Cristina
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Make sure you have all the Apple Updates found under the Apple Menu.

Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox.

From Firefox Download and install Flip4Mac http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I update my MAC regularly, so I have all my updates.
I reinstalled Firefox yesterday

I'd like to remind you that I have no problem viewing the same link on Safari. Firefox does not allow the video window even to show up when I click on the link.
let me know what else to do,
thanks,
Cristina
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I would like you to install flip4mac from Firefox.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bob,
How do I install it from Firefox. Can you guide me step by step?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Launch Firefox.
Past in this address;
Click the download button.
Double click on the downloaded file.
Make sure you choose Firefox as your browser during the install.
Restart Firefox and test your video.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I always download everything with Firefox, which is my main browser. I downloaded the application ONCE MORE and nothing.
Can we please move forward?
And there is another odd thing: for some time now I haven't been able to secure the Firefox icon on the dock. I put it there and it disappears within seconds.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I am certain that we can get this video thing solved.

Will you send me a link to the video that is giving you the trouble?

For the Dock thing. Open a Finder Window then click on Applications.
Find the Firefox Icon.
Drag it from the Finder Window to the place on the dock where you would like it to be and let go of the mouse button.

I'll look at what kind of a video file you are having issues with and we'll get that solved too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob, the link was my initial query, but here it is again:
Maybe you shoudl read the thread of Q&A so we don't go over the same stes over and overl. Sorry if I sound frustrated, but you're not telling me anything new about how to add an icon to the dock... I am capable of adding a nd removing various applications and other icons, but Firefox just won't stay! Never happened to me before
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
OK first for the Firefox on the Dock;
I would run Repair Permissions first from the Disk Utility Program.

2nd I'd try moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to your desktop
Log out and back in or open up terminal and type in 'killall Dock', without the quotes.

If that doesn't work you can move the .plist file back, if it works you can delete it.

The video link behaves exactly the same way for me. I think the site wrote code to skip the video if Firefox Mac was the browser. It's just a flash file but I don't know why they would do it like that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks. I'll try this later 'cause I gotta leave now... but then why would they write it to work for Safari and not Firefox MAC? And this happens quite often, and it's really a bummer because even though I am a Mac user I prefer to use Firefox...
I'll get back to you once I try your suggestions...
Thanks
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
That's a good question that I'd ask the people who manage the site. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob Cook,
So we realized that the video problem is because the site wrote it that way for Firefox Mac, so there is nothing we can fix, right?
Regarding the Dock, I did all you requested but it did not help. In the meantime I also noticed it happens with my 'Address Book' application, so I wonder if I should contact Apple???
Anyway, during the past week I have been having the most annoying thing happen while I'm on my email (netaddress.com) in firefox (Beta version). Sometimes, when I double click on a message so I can get the window of the message to pop up from the inbox list, it will not do it. Instead, a yellow band appears at the top saying: "Forefox prevented this site from opening 2 pop-up windows" , even if there are no other windows displayed!!!
Once this happens I cannot have ANY email pop-up, and I have to QUIT firefox, and opene it again to make it work.
Any suggestions?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You are right, there is nothing we can do about the site that does not support Firefox.

For your dock problems, move these files to your desktop;
~ /Library/Caches/com.apple.dock.iconcache.501
~/Library/Preferences/apple.dock.plist

For your email issue. You have popups blocked in your Firefox browser.
In Firefox Preferences
Click the Content icon.

Make sure the box next to 'Block Pop-up Windows' is checked.

Click the 'Exceptions' button and a box titled 'Allowed Sites – Popups' will open. You can type in the web address of any sites for which you want to allow popups.

Close the box and then close the options box by clicking on 'OK'. You'll need to close the preferences box to save the new choices.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Regarding the Dock fixes you suggested:
There was no "~ /Library/Caches/com.apple.dock.iconcache.501" in the Cache folder.
In the: ~/Library/Preferences folder I found a
com.apple.dock.plist
I dragged it on the desktop, but the problem persists.

Regarding the Pop -up fixes you suggested:
The Block Pop-ups window was unchecked so I checked it. I clicked on "Exceptions" and all my sites came up, icluding my email. I wrote my email site again, just to be sure. however, there is no OK button anywhere, so I just closed the boxes.
Unfortunately, the problem still persist.

If we are unable to fix these very annoying problems, I will ask you to teach me how to export all my bookmarks from Firefox to Safari, and finallly switch browsers, like my son has been suggesting I do for a long time.
C
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Open Firefox:
Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks
File -> Export
Save the bookmarks file somewhere you can easily find it -- i.e. desktop
Close Firefox.

Open Safari:
File -> Import Bookmarks
Select the copy on the desktop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to Bookmarks: I only have "Organize Bookmarks" I clicked it.
Went to Firefox "File", there was no Export, only Import... any suggestions?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, Firefox must have changed it in this version.

Open Safari and from the File Menu choose IMPORT BOOKMARKS. That will open a navigation window. Choose your username/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxx.default/bookmarks.html.