Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

My son is trying to play a game on his apple laptop. A message

Customer Question

My son is trying to play a game on his apple laptop. A message appears when trying to play the game saying the game needs 1 MB of free disc space and to free up some space on the local disc. What does this mean and how do I do this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Thanks for using justanswer.com   I have a few questions for you.

What is the name of the game that your son is trying to play?

What OS are you running? ie. 10.4.11 or 10.5.6

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.

thanks for the info. I am here to help
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SIMS 2

OS 10.5.5   2.16 GHZ, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Sorry for the delay, had to retrieve the macbook from him!
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the info

Sims 2 needs about 3 GB of free space to run. It sounds like your son is running out of disk space.

The first thing to check to free up some space would be the downloads folder. This is a folder that stores anything downloaded over the web.

If you click on the face with a smile on it on the left-hand side of you dock.
Double click a folder called downloads. Have him delete things he does not need there.

He can also uninstall applications or games that he does not need anymore which will free up some space.

If you click on the face with a smile on it again,

Then go to the very top and click on Go and choose Applications. If he has anything that he does not use anymore drag it to the trash (which is at the far right-hand side of your dock)

Click on the Trash Can and choose Empty in the top right.

Let me know how it works out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I removed many MBs of downloads and applications. Still says I need 1 MB of free disc space...I removed hundreds of MBs. Next thought?
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,

Are you running the game from the disk or the hard drive? This could be the issue. You should run the game from the hard drive.

To install Sims 2, Do the following:

Put in the Sims2 DVD.

Double click on The Sims 2 DVD icon on the desktop, and then drag The Sims 2 folder onto your Macintosh hard drive icon.

After the game has finished installing, click on the Macintosh hard drive icon to open it, open the Sims 2 game folder icon, and then double click on the Sims 2 application icon to launch the game.

Let me know if this fixes it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did that, did not help. I need to get to bed...will try again tomorrow! Thanks so far, but no help yet I am sorry to say.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
okCustomer

Tomorrow try restarting the computer just to clear everything and then launch Sims 2 from the Macintosh HD.

If it still does not work do the following:

Click on the smile face icon again and at the botXXXXX XXXXX bar it should say how much disk space is available. Can you let me know?

thanks and have a good night.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My son has his computer, so I cannot determine the effect of any upcoming answer. So far, no help from the answers received, thus no "accept". I will try to get an answer that helps when I get my sons laptop back...hopefully tomorrow!
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
ok, I will opt out of this question and another expert will be with you shortly.