MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My kids knocked our desktop off the table and now there is

Customer Question

My kids knocked our desktop off the table and now there is a white line about 1 and a half inches wide running down the right side of the screen... can I do anything, or are we screwed???
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

-SMC RESET-
The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Mac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

• From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down
(or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
• Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any
display cables.
• Wait at least 15 seconds.
• Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being
pressed at the time.
• Now reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
• Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.
--This is the one of the most important steps you can try.

IF this does not work and after you reboot and still see the vertical white line on your screen, this is a hardware issue and unfortunately you are going to have to arrange for your Mac to be seen at an Apple Service Center.

As an additional step and just for your reference (if the above process fails), I have taken the liberty to provide the store locator links to your local Apple Retail store as well as a general store locator for locating any local Apple Authorized Service center in your area.

Apple Retail Store (Genius bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD