Dave Huber
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.

A few weeks ago accidently threw my email in the trash and

A few weeks ago accidently threw my email in the trash and emptied the trash. I put the x disk in& retrieved my email. After that I could not get a few of my emails, so,apple had me reboot the computer,then I was able to open those emails.But my i photo was off the dock, it wasn't in applications.There was only a question mark where it used to be. When I called apple he told me I'm missing a disk,( they gave me #1,#2, and the one with the x.He said I need to take my computer to the apple store and I need to buy ilife disk?I have osx 10.5.7. He kept asking someone else what to do. Is he right, help, Isabella

Please do this:

Click on the Desktop

Press Apple-F for "Find"

At the top of the window next to the word "Search:" Click "This Mac"

In the search field, type in and press return

Please tell me if it returns a result showing application

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks Dave I tried that and other things on the desktop, I can't get my iphoto back on the dock
okay, hang tight...don't go away.
Oh well, I missed you.

Try this:

Go to and download the file.

Once finished (it's over 170 MB), drag it to your applications folder.

Once there, double-click it.

Once expanded, launch iPhoto and see how it works. Please let me know when finished so I can remove the zip file.

Good luck and write back!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dave, I downloaded the file, got iphoto in appl. now its on the dock, every time I try to launch it, a square comes up that says iphoto quit unexpectedly, reset & relaunch, I've tried repeatedly, at least its on the dock.what now?
Thanks for your help
This would go in the address bar (or the URL bar). At the top of this page you are reading, you'll see "" - this is the exact spot you'll put this address. Just copy & paste it.

Let me know if you get it going...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Don't know if you got my last email, I figured out , what you told me to do. Iphoto is in appl, it says in the folder. It is now on the dock, every time I try to launch it , it says iphoto quit unexpectedly, reset& relaunch, I've tried repeatly, What do I do now?
Thanks for your help, at least its on the dock!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did you just email me I don't see your answer after I told you iphoto was on the dock?
No, I just got here...

Please do this:

Open the Applications folder

Open the Utilities folder

Double-click "Terminal"

Copy and paste this text into the Terminal window and press return

sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/

type your password XXXXX press return when prompted.

In a very short time, you'll see the Terminal prompt again. If you are not sure, just wait 30 seconds and then press apple-q to quit

Try iPhoto now....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've been trying to copy and paste the text into terminal,on my own, i've never done that please help,
Thank you for your help, to bad we can't be on the phone,
No worries. Can you be online for any time today? If we are both on at the same time we could probably get this done...

It is 9:17 AM here in the Chicago, Illinois area.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can do it right now, I'm afraid I'll lose my pictures, I don't have them backed up(on dvds, or hard drive.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, forgot to give you mytime CA. it is now8:20 am. If I don't hear from you in 20 min. I'm going to a class,Isabella
Okay, just let me know when you get back and have some time. Sorry to have missed you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dave!
     I decided to take my Mac to the apple store, it was worth the 2 hr. round trip. it didn't cost anything, and they fixed the problem. I got the new i photo in the process. I knew you would help me, but I got impatient !
Thanks for all your help!