Dave Huber
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.

just recently bought an apple mac OS X, but find that i cannot

Customer Question

just recently bought an apple mac OS X, but find that i cannot watch the online tutorials because streaming .... or downloading ) is extremley slow. Didnt have such a problem on my P.C so wonder if it something that i need to install. when I try to watch a tutorial I get approx 3 seconds and then have to wait for approx 30 seconds just to be able to see the next 3 seconds...and so it goes on. I have the same problem with you tube etc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dave Huber replied 7 years ago.

In Safari, go to

Next to "Choose a Server," pic the location that is nearest you.

Let the test run. It does not take very long.

Send me back what it says under "last result."

For example, I ran the test, and got back:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 14210 kbps (1776.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5651 kbps (706.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Please send me that info.

Take care,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good morning Dave,
Thank you for your kind reply and for looking into my problem.
I couldnt use the speednet website that you suggested because I am in England but I was able to get the reading that you require from B.T {British Telecom ] who are my I.S.P.
Download speed = 192 kbps
Upload speed = 448 kbps
Hoe this helps.
Thanks again,

Sorry for assuming you were in the states. We are so egocentric!

I hate to tell you, but those are VERY slow speeds, so it is no wonder you are getting poor performace.

Do you still have your PC for a comparison? If you do, you can perform the exact same test on your PC. I suspect that there will not be much difference at all...

It is possible, but improbable, that your ISP does not have good Mac support, so my next step if I were you would be to contact B.T., give them the speeds you are registering, ask them what speeds you should be able to be getting, and go from there. If I thought this was a Mac issue, I'd start troubleshooting, but I strongly suspect it is a network issue, either in your home or from your ISP.

Please let me know how things turn out and if you need me to help you troubleshoot your Mac connection to your home network.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dave,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but thanks for your advice.
Well I have got slightly better download speed as a result of a call to B.T but it seems that I can only get 1/2 meg anyway because of the distance from the exchange.
Even though my problem isnt really cured the advice that you gave was quite correct and has helped to identify my problem, therefore it is only right that you get paid.
I have ordered an I Plate which may help me get a little bit better download speed,but I was wondering is there anything else that you might be able to suggest Dave ?
Thanks again,
Take care,
I really wish that I could. There's ways to speed up your home network, certainly, by making sure that all of your network equipment is as fast as you can get (wireless equipment that uses 802.11g or 802.11n and a gigabit router/switch). This will not help your Internet speed, though, as you are completely regulated by B.T.

I am out of my elelment as far as ISP options in your country, but if I was stuck in a similar situation, I would investigate dropping my ISP and going with a cellular internet option.

Take a look at as a starting point. Work with a pre-sales person to find out if cellular broadband is a possible solution for you (your location will probably factor in quite a bit).

Check out to see a cool way to share cellular braodband access with multiple computers.

Good luck to you!!!