Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

I am new to the mac world. I just got a new MacBook Pro and

I am new to the mac world. I just got a new MacBook Pro and Apple Cinema Display. I have two questions/issues that have come up:

1. I opened a jpg that was emailed to me and it looked like what I can only describe as a negative of what it should look like. I opened the same jpg attachment on my PC and it looked fine. What can I do to see the jpg correctly?

2. I get emails sent to me for real estate that have a link to properties. I can open them on my PC, but when I click on the link in the body of the email through entourage on my mac I get this error message:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14'

Incorrect syntax near '='.

/ShareServer/RecSet.inc, line 1985

My friend has a mac and can open the link to the email...why can't I? (i don't now if it matters that I use Entourage and she uses mac mail.)

Thanks,

Courtney
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 4 years ago.
The first issue is a feature set in your System Preferences for people who are visually impaired so they can see the screen. Press these keys on your keyboard CONTROL OPTION APPLE 8. Press them again and it toggles back and forth. You can also open SYSTEM PREFERENCES - UNIVERSAL ACCESS and click on Black on White.

The second issue is a reference to a bug in the software. Make sure you have all the Apple Updates... under the Apple menu and check for Entourage updates as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are other jpgs that appear fine. Not sure why this one doesn't? Control Option Apple 8 just made it look lighter, but it still did not look correct. It's not a perfect negative of just black and white - it has some blues reds and purples in it, but it just isn't right. Why would this jpg not show properly when others have?

I am installing updates, but the only updates available are for iTunes, Garage Band, and Quick Time. I doubt this will change that error message. Is there a separate way to access updates for entourage? Would those updates be through Entourage and not under the apple menu?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found an entourage update that I am installing right now. I'll let you know if tat works. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The entourage update worked! Now, if I can just understand this jpg issue...
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 4 years ago.
I'm glad you found the Entourage update. Keep going to the Apple Updates until you see a screen that says your system is up to date.

So, now you have what Black on White? is it that stark? Or grey scale?

Go back to Universal Access and make sure the Gray Scale checkbox is not checked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To be clear....I only used the Control Option Apple 8 function twice. Once, to see what it did (it did not make the jpeg normal, it just made it lighter, but it still looked strange), and then once again to "undo" it and make my computer screen look normal again. I did not go into Universal Access. My screen looks normal, my computer is fine. Some jpgs open perfectly, but so far, this one jpeg is really "off" color wise, but opens fine on my PC. Is there an explanation as to why this one jpg is oddly colored?

Is there any way I can print screen or paste this jpg into this thread so you can see it?

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 4 years ago.
Safari on a Mac will not let me see it here. You would have to use Internet Explorer on a PC to post a picture.   If it's just one Jpeg image than maybe it has a format that isn't compatible with your Mac. You could right click on it and OPEN WITH... Choose the application Preview or some other application to see if it's the application that you are using.
If it's your Mac, system updates and software updates should solve it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, it is one jpg so far...I'm just concerned I won't be able to see images properly for work since my two co-workers have PC's. I thought it was maybe a PC to Mac issue. And yes, my mac is fully updated.    

While I have you and before I accept your answer, do you know a way around activating Adobe CS3 Web Premium software on a mac. I have installed the softare, but it is not allowing me to activate it (too many activations) so I'm only getting a 30 day trial at this point.   
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks,
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 4 years ago.
You have to have an Adobe Activation Code that is available. The code gets sent to Adobe each time it's installed. You have to deactivate one of those computer to active on yours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no way around the activation? any keygen software for mac?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 4 years ago.
No nothing that I can professional recommend.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.