Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I bought a 500GB Iomega UltraMax Desktop Hard Drive (USB/Firewire/eSATA)

I bought a 500GB Iomega UltraMax Desktop Hard Drive (USB/Firewire/eSATA) for my G5 Mac (latest OS X). I connected it via Firewire and the drive mounts as it should without any further doing. However, I can't drag and drop anything onto the drive! When I clicked "get info" on the drive I see that the Format of the drive is Windows NT File System (NTFS). Last time I bought an Iomega HDD it came ready with Mac compatible format.
How can I reformat it?

Thanks
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can format it easily...
  • Goto ~/Applications/Utilities and open DiskUtility
  • Now connect your hard drive into your Mac
  • Select the external Hard Disk you wish to format at the left column
  • Click on the Erase tab
  • At the “Volume Format” select “Mac OS Journaled/Extended”
  • If you confirm to format your hard disk, Click on “Erase” button.
  • If the erase process finished, your external hard disk is ready to use for Mac. (Warning : This will remove all your data from your hard disk)

Please let me know how it goes before Accepting. Only Accept the answer if it worked
Hope it worked. Thanks for Accepting my answer and the positive feedback. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ashik,

very good answer. It worked fine and solved my problem. Thanks!
As a non-expert Mac user the "disk utility" just wasn't at the forefront of my mind but it was worth 8 quid for the reminder :-)

Good work!

Andreas
Thanks...
Keep the answer. It will help you in the future.Smile
If you have any questions, please come back again. We are always ready to help you.

Best Regards,