Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

Im trying to connect to a wireless router. My mac show that

Customer Question

I'm trying to connect to a wireless router. My mac show that I'm connected. It has assigned me an IP address. But, when I click on Safari, it says I can't connect because I'm not connected to the internet. My router at home works. I'm typing from another laptop hooked up to the router. My Mac works, it is brand new and I have no problems connecting to a router in many other locations. Is there a setting or something I don't know about?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Most home routers are set up with a password. That might be the only thing you are missing.

Point at the Airport Icon in the upper right edge of your display, drag to Join Other Network...
Click the Show Network button then pick your router from the list. Type in the password.

That should get you online.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've already done that. I have put in the password XXXXX if I go to network preferencwes, it says I'm connected. Everything show that I"m connected, but I can't get on.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
It's possible to be connected but not online if your network requires a proxy. Check with the system administrator to see if a proxy is needed and what that proxy address is.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just checked, I don't need a proxy.

I can use the airport fine in other locations, just not at home.

But, I CAN use it at home................sometimes.

I was connected and online all day yesterday.

Sometimes I can get on, and sometimes I can't.

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
During one of the moments that you can't get online. Unplug your router for 30 seconds then plug it back in to see if that solves it.

Also there is a sequence to which router your Mac joins. Open your Network Preferences and choose Airport then hit the Advanced button. Move your home router to the top of the list by dragging it there and save your changes.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
One other thought. Make sure you have all Apple Updates from the Apple menu.

Sometime router updates are offered from the manufacturer web site.