Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I have a nework of Mac that are infected with the Microsoft

I have a nework of Mac that are infected with the Microsoft Word Macro Virus. There are 10 machines running OS 10.4+ and some running OS 10.5+ and Microsoft Office 2004 v11.5.0

What is the most effecient / cost effecting / lest damaging way I can purge this virus and stop it's spread?
I recommend that you download and run ClamXav -> http://www.clamxav.com/

It is a free open source virus checker that does a great job.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the link. I am starting to scan the machines and place the infected files in a folder on their desktop. Is there a method to batch remove the macro virus without damaging the contents of the file?

Yes, OnyX will take care of that for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have downloaded OnyX and it very robust but I don't want my system scanned and purged. I cannot see how to direct OnyX to scan only one folder (with the infected files)
Viruses do not effect an Application folder they attach system files. I recommend you let ClamXav do it's job.
OnyX will clean up extra files to make your system faster. Once again let it do what it needs to do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bob

I was never able to get OnyX to remove the virus after multiple attempts. I purchased Norton Utilities and visited each of the 12 machines. I think I am free of the Macro Virus.

I will accept your help.

Thank you Dan.