Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

I have an ibook G4 new in March 2003. It was fine this morning

Customer Question

I have an ibook G4 new in March 2003. It was fine this morning until I linked to plaxo from aol. Then it froze, giving me the endless pizza wheel. I shut it down manually, then restarted it. There was nothing on the desktop or dock. I shut it down again and when it restarted the dock was there. I can open the programs but all the pull down menus are blank. I also can't open Finder. For a while aol and firefox were working ok but now those are iffy too so basically I can't use the computer. Thanks for any help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Reset the PRAM.

Reboot your computer and immediately press and hold these four key on your keyboard OPTION APPLE P R
Keep those keys down until you hear the Mac Chime at least 3 times the let them up.

As soon as you computer is up make sure you have all the Apple Updates from the Apple menu.

Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and run Repair File Permissions and verify your hard drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not hearing any chime. When do I hold down the keys/ Right when i turn it on of aftr it has booted up all the way?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Restart then hold the keys immediately, before any chime. If you never hear the chime then take your battery out and unplug it and hold your power button for 30 seconds. Replace the battery/plug and try the PRAM reset again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dang! I wish I'd gotten this last one before I took my computer in. A couple of peopel said, 'It soudns liek you're computer is bout to die. Bring it in to get everything off it." Do you think I shoudl try to get it back before they look at it? Is there a decent possibility that this is not be a larger problem
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hardware problems can only be fixed by an Apple Tech. Hardware problems are always a possibility. If your hardware is fine the tech will probably do what I asked you to do. If he finds hardware problems then you could not have fixed it with my advice.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you. not the low cost outcome I wanted but nothing ususally is.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Thank You!