Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my husband did an itunes and quicktime updates that flashed

Customer Question

my husband did an itunes and quicktime updates that flashed on the screen last night. when he tried to restart the computer, all we get is the gray apple screen with NO spinning wheel. we've tried the typical hold the shift key and he put in the osx install disc, but still only get the gray apple screen. any help would be appreciated as no mac dealers in town.

thanks~joan
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the update process corrupted the important Mac OS system files. So we can do some troubleshooting steps and see if they can solve the issue.

Running Disk Utility From Mac OS Installation/Restore Disks

Insert your Mac OS Installation/restore disks and restart your Mac by holdind down the c key. This will boot your Mac from the CD. Follow the on-screen instructions. From the Utility Menu choose DiskUtility, Select your HardDrive and click the FirstAid Tab. Under FirstAid ; Run Repair Disk and Repair Permission.

SMC (System Management Controller) Reset : Click Here

Reset PRAM and NVRAM : Click Here

If it didn't solved the problem, then you need to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one. (Trust me, Archive and Install will defenitly solve your problem)

Archive and Install : Read More

If Archive and Install won't solve the issue then it might be a hardware problem and you need to contact Apple before doing any other troubleshooting methods

Let Me know how it goes before Accepting. Only Accept my answer if it worked
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my answer solved your problem, please click ACCEPT. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we tried restarting by inserting the disc and holding down the C key - i mentioned that in my original question. i get nothing but the gray apple screen - and i cannot access anything- i need to know how to move past the gray screen with just the apple icon. there is no wheel turning to tell me the computer is thinking or processing. any other suggestions?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply...The best thing is, boot from the system disk and run disk utility. So insert the disk and press and hold down option key key. You can see two options, i.e a hard drive and a CD drive. Select CD drive and press return. This should boot your Mac from the disk.

Also, do a PRAM and NVRAM reset
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help so far, but we still have no success. When we tried to verify the HD and then to repair it, we got the messages:
Vol MAC HD could not be repaired; the underlying task reported failure on exit; and
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error.

Maybe some history will help. We have the first IMAC with the CONE harddrive (about 5 or 6 years old). It came with OS8. We later upgraded to MAC OS10 online with no start-up CD. The only CD we have was for MAC OS10.4 (TIGER) which we did a year or so ago. This is the start-up CD we have been using, so maybe it will not work.

Lastly, we did get into the "installation" section of the disc, but then got an error about the Hard Drive. We restarted again, and now we get an error message at the start of the process saying that no version of MAC OS 10.3 or later was found on the hard drive.

It is as if we do not have MAC OS on the hard drive at all now. It seems that maybe the install erased the old MAC OS 10 while installing the new version, but then crashed so now we only have OS 8?

I do not know since I am not a computer person. Can you still help?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hmm..Confusing !
Do you have the tiger disk with you ?

Is there any valuable data in your hard drive ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we have been using the Tiger disc as the start-up. We have all our IPHOTOS (msot backed up on CD's, thousands of ITUNES, all my wife's internet business records, and many other files. We have been shopping for an external hard drive, but had not purchased one yet. The computer had been running slow that last few months.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I think your hard disk was corrupted. So you want to do an Clean Installation of Mac OS X Tiger, doing clean installation will completely remove your files on your hard disk.