MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Hi! I bought an IMac 6 month ago and for some reason now is

Customer Question

Hi! I bought an IMac 6 month ago and for some reason now is not wanting to turn itself off, unless I press the power button. What can I do? It doesn't seem a good thing to do turning it off that way each time.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Can you also provide me what model of Mac you have and what the processor speed is?
( Again If not sure how to check the processor speed of your Mac- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will also see your processor info in small window)

• When you mention, your iMac "not wanting to turn itself off" , are you referring to
using the automatic startup/ shutdown feature found in System Preferences >Energy Saver for example?

graphic

Or are you referring to your Mac not shutting down, using the Apple menu properly, without you having to press the power button ech time?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi! Thanks for quick action!
IMac 8.1 on Leopard OSX 10.5.7 Speed 2.66Ghz
My Mac is not shutting down, using the Apple menu properly, without me having to press the power button ech time.
Looking forward to hear from you,
T
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also I did the Technical check of hard drive and all the internal parts and it came back fine!
Thanks T for the update.

Here is one process you can try in order to correct this issue.

-SMC RESET-
The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Mac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

• From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down
(or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
• Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any
display cables.
• Wait at least 15 seconds.
• Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being
pressed at the time.
• Now reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
• Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.

Let me know if this works. I will be watching for your reply.

Thanks for your patience!

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
Nop, It didn't work at all!
Cry
Not a problem.

I have another process I would like you to try:

-OPEN FIRMWARE RESET-

• Restart your Mac
After the startup tone, hold down Apple Command key + Option+ O + F keys until the text screen is visible.

• Next, when text can be entered, type the following commands, followed by the <Return> key (there are no space characters in each command):

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all
(the Mac will boot up after this command is entered)

Once you reboot back to your Desktop, attempt to perform a Restart or a Shutdown using the Apple menu.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks again for allow me to assist you! :)

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
As my keyboard is wireless it doesn't receive my comands before the Imac is on, so ...it dind't work! EmbarassedCry and to be honest I am very concern of using power button so many times in one day, doesn't it f...k up the hard drive?