Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

I cannot hear audio when using video chat on my Mac Air. I

I cannot hear audio when using video chat on my Mac Air. I use ichat or Gmail chat.
I have seen this problem before when the headphone jack has a short in it. You can test my theory by plugging headphones in to see if the sound comes through the headphone jack.
The short makes your Mac think headphones are plugged in and the speakers are shut down to direct the sound through the headphones.
If you are still under warranty take it to an Apple dealer for warranty repair on the headphone jack.
If you are out of warranty you could use a tooth pick to CAREFULLY see if you can open the shorted headphone connection inside the jack in the computer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks very much Bob. I use my headphones daily and they work well. Could the headphone jack be shorted?

Would people be able to hear me if I were to plug a microphone into the headphone jack?
No the microphone jack is separate from the headphone jack, but using a headphone wil solve the hearing problem. Your built in mic should be fine for others to hear you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Very helpful thanks. I will definitely accept.
I just want to make sure I understand - even though the headphone jack works, there may still be a short in it that I should have repaired, correct?
Yes the problem is when your headphones are out the Mac thinks the headphones are still there and shuts your speakers off. When the short is fixed the speakers will work again.