Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

what should I do about extremely slow safari I supposedly

Customer Question

what should I do about extremely slow safari? I supposedly have 10 Megs from my cable company, but it seems to be running at less than one-tenth that. Mail program seems OK, and my son says his notebook is real fast on the same wireless router. I am on Imac running Tiger. connecting directly to the router doesnt help.

also, I have never been able to set up folders in my Mail, though it will set up smart folders. I get an error message about a path not being there, or something like that.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

You can test out if Safari is slower than it should be by using another browser for a few minutes and see if another one is faster. If a browser other than Safari is faster, Safari probably needs to be reset.

To reset Safari, open Safari. Click the Safari menu heading and click Reset Safari. It gives you options to reset. You can select or deselect what you want but to totally reset it, select them all. Then see how Safari runs.

I wouldn't reset Safari until testing another browser. If another browser is slow too, the problem isn't Safari.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried downloading firefox, but it would take several DAYS at the connect speed... so since I dont have
another browser, that isnt helpful. I already found the reset and clicked on several that seemed innocuous, but am anxious that I would lose all my bookmarks, and settings if I do the whole shebang.
So far, unfortunately, this isnt helpful    can you guide me any further?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Ok, since your internet connection is too slow to download Firefox and you've already tried resetting Safari, let's try resetting Safari's preferences. To do that,

1) Quit Safari.

2) Open a Finder window by clicking the smiling face icon in the lower left of the Dock.

3) Click on your Home folder in the left sidebar.

4) Open the Library folder.

5) Open the Preferences folder.

6) Locate the file named com.apple.safari.plist and throw it in the trash.

7) Close the Finder window.

8) Open Safari and see if it runs faster now.

If that doesn't help much, put additional DNS numbers in from OpenDNS.com. To do that:

1) Open System Preferences and click on Network

2) Click the Advanced button.

3) Click the DNS tab near the top of the window.

4) Click the Plus button near the lower left corner.

5) Add these numbers. Click the plus button once to add the first set, click it again to add the second set:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

This information comes from here:

https://www.opendns.com/start/

6) Click the Ok button.

7) Click the TCP/IP tab near the upper right corner and click the Renew DHCP Lease button.

8) Once back at the main Network window, click the just over the lock icon and click Set Service Order.

9) Drag the method you are using to connect to the internet to the top.

10) Click Ok

11) Click Apply in the lower right corner.

See how Safari runs now.

If things aren't speeding up yet, create a new user account in System Preferences/Accounts. Quit all applications in your current user account, log out of the current account, login to the new account and surf around with Safari and see if it's faster in the new account.

Let us know how things go after this.

There are more things to try if this doesn't get things going good.

Thanks,
Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not getting any "advanced" button on system preference, Network.
First suggestion didnt help any.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that's the procedure for Mac OS 10.5. I took for granted that's what operating system you are running. So, I'll redo that for you if you can tell me what operating system you are running. You can find that by clicking the Apple logo in the upper left corner and selecting About This Mac.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
os 10.4.11
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Let's try this in Mac OS 10.4.11.

Put additional DNS numbers in from OpenDNS.com. To do that:

2) Click the second button from the top where it say "Show" and click Airport if you are using Airport

3) Click the TCP/IP tab near the top of the window.

4) Add these numbers in the DNS Servers box.

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

This information comes from here:

https://www.opendns.com/start/

5) Click the Renew DHCP Lease button then click Apply in the lower right corner.

6) Click the "Show" again at the second button from the top and select Network Port Configurations.

7) Drag the method you are using to connect to the internet to the top. Airport if you are using Airport.

8) Click Apply in the lower right corner.

9) Quit System Preferences.

See how Safari runs now.

Let us know how things go after this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
none of this has helped. I am still getting download speed of 140 Kbps.
If you have any other ideas, OK, otherwise I think this is a failure.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
In your original question you said you used your son's computer for comparison. What download speed is that computer getting?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I would still like to know what speed your son's computer's download speed is. Either way, you said your download speed is 140 kbps. Since that is still two and a half times the speed of 56k dialup, downloading Firefox (which is 17.3 megabytes) should only take 2-4 minutes. So you can compare the speed of Safari with Firefox. You can download Firefox here:

http://getfirefox.net/download.html

You can test your download speed here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I suspect the high speed modem. The usual best remedies for resetting the modem are; if the modem has a reset button that a paper clip or something similar and be inserted in, keep the modem connected and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. Give the modem a couple of minutes to reset itself, then check your speed out.

Or, unplug your modem and router's power plug. Wait 30 seconds, power up the modem. Give it about 2 minutes to set itself up. Then power up the router and give it about 2 minutes to power up. Check your connection speed after that.

Good luck with these remedies as we would like to see you speeding along on the internet.

Crossing my fingers for you and am optimistic you will get speeded up.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks. I will do that.
I dont know if my son ran a speed test, I suspect not
....he was just saying that in response to
my question. He is back at school now
so we cant retest it right now
I will push accept now, as you did ;a ton of work.
if you want I will let you know what happens when
I do the shut down later.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
It would be great to compare another computer on your network to see if that one would get the same download speed as yours. If it is the same, the problem is not your computer but the modem or router. If my last suggestions don't help, you are at the point where it is probably best to call your internet provider to tell them the problem and tell them that you've tried surfing wireless and directly to the modem. This eliminates them blaming the router for the problem. Maybe they can track your speed throughput right there on the phone or come replace your modem.

On your end the only other suggestion I would have is reinstalling the operating system. But, I would ask your internet service provider to come out and test your connection before you go as far as reinstalling the operating system.

Thanks for the accept and do let us know if things speed up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think what it is, the cable modem is shot.
ISP is gonna replace it.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hopefully that gets you going high speed again. Sorry it took so much troubleshooting. Many times our first instincts are to blame the computer. Let us know if that ends up being the problem.