Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

we were hit with a power blackout. when i rebooted everything

Customer Question

we were hit with a power blackout. when i rebooted everything worked fine, except the color on my dell flat screen monitor was outa whack. i tried for hours to get some help from that lame org., but they finally punted and claimed it was a problem with my mac graphics card.
what next?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

I won't blame the Mac graphics card or the Dell display. But, I will blame the power blackout. This could help though.....reset the PRAM by restarting or if the computer is not running now, pressing the power button and immediately hold the

Command Option P R keys

keep holding these keys until you hear 3 startup chimes, then let go. You should then startup normally.

After that, the way to find out if there is a hardware problem is to startup your computer by the install CD and see if the color problems persist.

The only way to find out if the display has actual problems is to connect it to another computer.

If you have a tower computer you could shut down, open the case and reseat the video card by pulling the video card out of it's slot then putting it back in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how can i answer your question as to whether or not you helped me when i haven't had time to try your solutions. be patient. i won't cheat you.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Take your time. Don't let the emails or buttons on the web page make you feel pressed to accept an answer here. The emails are automatic and my line at the bottom is just like a email signature. I put it on every post so, it's automatic. But, it is a reminder that I am telling you everything that I know and if it helps you, accept the answer, that's all.

So, no rush at all. Do this at your pace. You have all the options here.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the re-install, no help. I'll try the display on a friend's computer, but there must be an easier way.
But I'll accept because I feel you did what you could. If you think of another way to address the display color, e-mail me later.
Bob Sherman.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
There is never an easy way when something like this happens. I've seen power spikes, blackouts and lightning strikes do some nasty things to computers.

There is one way to figure out if the problem is the display or the computer. If you have another display to connect to the computer, connect it, fire it up and see if it looks normal. Whether it's your display, your neighbor's, friend's, relatives. Any other display that you know is working good.

Thanks for the accept.