MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have photos stored on my acomdata HD from an older PC. Then

I have photos stored on my acomdata HD from an older PC. Then Acomodata model is E5-72.
I now have an IMAC OS X, version 10.4.11.
I have plugged it in the USB port and cannot get the Mac to recognize this device? Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

The first process I would like you to try is to see if your Acomodata HD is displaying under Devices within a Finder window.

If all you see is the Devices name and nothing else, make sure the disclosure triangle is pointing down and not to the right.

You can also check in Finder Preferences to make sure "External Drives" checkbox is selected.

• Click anywhere on your desktop and then go up to the Apple menu icon and and right next to it you should see Finder and its menu options.

• Now click on Finder >Preferences
• From the Finder Preferences window, select "Sidebar"

•Looking at the list of items in this window, make
sure External Disks is checked.

• Close out of Finder Preferences and open or look in an Finder window
you should see under Devices, your external Acomodata drive.

This should bring the Acomodata external HD icon back under Devices
within the Finder window's sidebar.

Let me know if these few steps work to see if your external HD is discovered. I look forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a newer MAC, so my Finder window is different, but I have searched for devices and there is no external devices or HD listed. I have tried the other options and nothing indicates that the Acomdata is connected. I have tried a new USB cable and no change. My perception is that in 6 months of no use, the Acomdata device is not working. I have also connected it to my PC IBM Laptop and it is not recognized by the PC either.   I thank you for your time, but unless there is another test to determine if the Acomdata is working, there is not much else I can try. Let me know if there is another option?