Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I have an iMac G3 which I use as a workstation for projects

I have an iMac G3 which I use as a workstation for projects I can't update. I have an airport card and adapter, I also have wireless internet via other hardware than Apple. Can I still get my internet to work on the G3 or do I have to buy airport hardware?
Your iMac G3 has an optional Airport card. It needs to be installed if it is not already internal to your iMac G3. They are a little hard to find and it requires a card holder that is even harder to find. You could just buy an 802.11 USB stick with a Mac driver and accomplish the same thing.
Once your iMac has either an Airport card or an 802.11 stick you can communicate with any wireless router. It does not have to be an AirPort Router.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bob,

Hello. First off, you answered the key question that I don't need an Apple router. So if this is a separate question, let me know.

I have the card and adapter which I got off of eBay. But when I go to the set up assistant it says it can't find the hardware. Assuming I installed the card correctly, what do I need to do to get the wireless net, which I have working on my other two Macs.

Albert

It depends on your version of Mac OS, you can run the network setup assistant and choose AIRPORT. Find the name of your router on the list and connect.

I can give you more specific instructions if you need it. Tell me what OS you are using.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bob, I am using 9.23, whatever the last version of classic was. My computer is at home I am at work. So I'll have to finish tomorrow, but I don't want to keep you hanging, especially after you got back to me so fast. So I'll just accept and deal with the rest of it tomorrow.

Thank you.

albert

Here is an excellent article on Airport Setup for OS 9.
http://www.csupomona.edu/~ehelp/wireless/setup_airport_os9.html