Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

Intel Power Book OS 10.5.7 - Mac Mail Inbox has a triangular

Intel Power Book OS 10.5.7 - Mac Mail Inbox has a triangular icon with ! character in it and doesn't appear to be receiving mail. If I QUIT Mac Mail and start again it looks OK and then in about 30 seconds it chirps and the icon reappears in the Inbox
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

First quit all of your applications and run the best 3 self diagnostics you can run on a Mac. They are:

1) Repair permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder

2) Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. Then hit the return key. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot

then hit return and you'll start up back to normal.

3) Start up in Safe Mode by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until you see the Gray Apple and spinning gear. Then let go of the shift key. It may take up to a half hour to start up because the system runs diagnostics and may be repairing. After the computer starts up, restart again without holding any keys.

If these remedies don't work, we'll probably have to trash Mail's preferences.

Let us know how these 3 diagnostics affect the problem.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.