Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

Hi - I have a Mac OS X and just saved an email I composed to

Hi - I have a Mac OS X and just saved an email I composed to my documents; however, now when I try to open it, it opens to a blank email page, not the letter I wrote. I've noticed for the first time that it says .html next to my saved icon in documents. I've never used html before. Can you tell me how to open this email in my documents, as I spent two hours composing it and would hate to have lost it. Thanks, Bruce
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Open that file from a Browser. Safari or Firefox what ever you use. Once you see your document select all the text and copy it then paste it back into your blank page in the email editor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob - Everytime I open it it is blank. How do I open an html on MAC OS X? The info is there according to the 'more info' button, but I can't get it up on my sscreen to even copy it and paste it to a new email. Bruce
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Right click (or Control Click) on the icon of the file. A window will pop up, choose OPEN WITH...
Then navigate to SAFARI.
If that doesn't work then try it again and choose OPEN WITH... then choose MAIL.
If it still blank then maybe the file is truly blank.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, Bob - I tried to open with mail, but there was no listing for mail under that. I tried the same with open with safari. The problem it is still in html. In the preview there says there is 36 KB on disk. I'm not using a disk. How can I get rid of html for this document? Thanks, Bruce
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
It's not a matter of getting rid of html. It's simply a matter of finding the application that reads it. What program does it try to open in?
Do you have Word? Launch Word and from the File menu choose OPEN then navigate to your file.

There has to be an application that will open it. Maybe even TextEdit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Having saved an email to my documents, I still have not found a way to open it, even aftyer changing it from html to Word. If you can't hgelp me, will you please refund my $9.00, unless someone else can figure out where on my machine it is located? I've been told I saved the email template, but not the letter inside. I can't believe I saved something and it is nowhere on my computer, except in my documents where I saved it, but when i open it it comes up to a blank email page. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Bruce,

You are correct. Saving an email message and loading it back should not be such a pain. Let me see if I can reproduce the problem. I need to know who your email provider is. When you compose your mail message what application are you in? If you were using Safari did you simply choose SAVE AS... from the File menu? Or did you save your document some other way?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob - my email provider is AOL. I'm using Safari on my Mac OSX and I saved (as) the email (not sent) to my documents because I needed to do some research before sending it out. It came up as HTML when I tried 6o reopen it from Documents, which it never did before, and it wouldn't open. I changed it to Word and still nothing. This letter took three hours to write and I had it perfect. It has to be somewhere I would think, unless it didn't save and only the email template was saved. Possible? Thank you, Bruce
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
If you were in Safari and chose Save As... from Safari's File menu then you would have saved the Safari page consisting of AOL's web page. The only way you could save a document to use later would be to have AOL's server hold onto it until you could finish. AOL should have something like Save as a Draft on their page somewhere.
I think you saved the web page as html in your documents folder. When you load it you are bringing up the page you saved, but the document you typed in that page can not be saved with the web page. If AOL doesn't have anything in a Drafts folder then it must be lost.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.