Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I have an iMac 10.5.7 with fusion boot camp running XP. I bought

Customer Question

I have an iMac 10.5.7 with fusion boot camp running XP. I bought an Epson 600 workforce over the weekend. It loaded and works fine on the Apple side but I can't get it to run on the Windows XP side. It won't print the test page and I keep getting a message saying it would run faster with a 2.0 USB connector. I have a Belkin USB Plus Hub that is 2.0. I even tried connecting the USB direct to the iMac. After trying to print I get the dreaded blue screen and everything freezes.

Message after restarting is that I have a USB problem.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

Do you have Printers enabled in the settings of VMWare Fusion?

To do this shutdown Windows but keep VMWare Fusion open or open it if it's not running. When the VMWare startup screen pops up, select Settings under the Virtual Machine Menu heading. Click your virtual machine. Click Printers and put a check mark in the Enabled box. Click the window closed then startup Windows again and see if you can use your printer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I see that it set-up a virtual printer. Still does not work. Since it is a virtual printer using the mac side printers, do I still need to try to install the Epson Software on the Windows Side? I am using Boot Camp with a partition. I am not using a virtual machine.

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so you are using VMWare's Virtual Machine when the printer doesn't work? You are shutting down and fully booting into the Windows operating system?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am using Boot Camp rather than the virtual machine. I have the hard drive partioned with one side for apple and the other for windows. I did not leave enough disk space for the window side. I have less than a Gigibyte left of free space on the Windows Side of the partition.

From what I understand, I should have set up as a virtual machine and shared memory. The way I have it set up is very limiting right now. I am in Florida right now and will be for about a month or two. I have my iMac but all my programs are in Denver.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did shut down and restart windows. When it was shut down I went into settings and clicked enabled printers. It was not selected before.

When I went to print, the choice I selected was vmware virtual printer. Nothing printed.

I am still getting an message saying I am using a 1.0 USB Port. I am now directly connected to the iMac. I purchased it last July so it is new and does have 2.0 USB Ports.

Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I have the same setup but with no printers connected to my MacBook Pro. I do use the VMWare Fusion virtual machine with no problems. Half the time when I boot fully over to Windows I have problems. So, I just stay on the Mac side and if I run Windows, I just run it side by side with Mac.

You could try unchecking that printer setting in VMWare Fusion's settings and see if that affects the windows side.

I'm not much help on Windows only so, I'm going to opt out and let the experts here that know Windows better than me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have Microsoft Office and some Photo Editing Programs that are only available as Window Programs. I have gradually switched most my work over to the Apple side but still need Microsoft Office. I'd buy the Mac Version but am reluctant to do so since I already have purchased and own the Windows Version.

I had no problems running my HP Officejet Printer from both sides. Now I am having problems with the new Epson.

I had the printers unchecked before when I was using the HP Printer and it worked fine. I ran it through a Ethernet Cable Router (instead of USB connection though since I had a hard wired network with another PC connected as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My problem has not been solved. I have an appointment at an Apple Store on Wednesday to see if they can help. Sorry, I wish I had got the answer here. The Apple store is over an hour away.

XXXXX XXXXX