Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

When I try to type the number 9 the document I am working

When I try to type the number "9" the document I am working on moves into the nine pane window. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You must have something set in the SPACES PREFERENCES.

Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES and then SPACES. Check to see if you have any Application Assignments and remove the offending assignment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did as you suggested. Documents were not assigned to a space. However, iTunes, mail and stickies were all assigned to space 1 (where the documents were being sent when I clicked "9"). So, I switched their spaces to 7, 8, and 9. That did not seem to fix the problem.

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You can change the shortcuts used to switch between Spaces by changing the pull-down menus at the bottom of the Spaces preferences window. The menus are "To activate Spaces", "To switch between Spaces", and "To switch directly to a Space".

You can set any key combination to move to the next space in your specified order, from Space 1 to Space 2, from 2 to 3, and so on. You can also disable any shortcut if you want to by choosing "-" from the menu(s).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I changed the option for "To switch directly to a Space" ... Command Number Keys.

But now the 9 key won't do anything ... no 9 appears when it press the 9 key.

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Open your System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse and check if you have the 9 key mapped as something else. If you find it you can press the - button to remove it.

The 9 must work or it would not have had any effect in Spaces.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 9 key does not show to be a short cut for any action. However, I can type a 9 when I hold down the "alt option" key while pressing the 9.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Open the System Preferences application, then select International and click on the Input Menu tab.

Check the "Show Input Menu" box at the bottom of the dialog, and check the Keyboard Viewer option box in the list. KeyCaps is now available on the flag menu (which has moved to the right side of the menubar).

This will show you your keyboard mapping. You should have the Standard US keyboard selected.
Some program has that 9 key mapped to something else.

You can reset the keys by going to System Preferences, Keyboard and Mouse, Keyboard, Modifier Keys, Reset to Defaults.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
After you reset the keyboard you have to reboot before it takes effect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I followed your instructions (the Standard US keyboard was selected) ... reset the keys as directed.

Rebooted.

Still cannot type a 9 without holding the "alt option".

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Open another application (like TextEdit) and type a 9. Did it work?

What application are you in when the 9 doesn't work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was in Word, but the response is the same in Text Edit.

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
So it it behaves the same way in multiple applications it has to be mapped that way in the OS.

Did it ever work? What changed?

What version of the OS are you using? Is it an Apple brand keyboard?
Are you using the US keyboard settings in the International Preferences?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes it did work at one time. The only change I can think of is that I downloaded Skype.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 version

Yes it is an Apple brand keyboard (MacBook)

Yes I am using the US keyboard setting in the International Preferences

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Get the latest Apple Update to get to system 10.5.7. Then reboot and try it again.

If that doesn't work you can also reset preferences by moving the file ~/Library/Preferences/Prefernce.plist to the desktop. Then reboot. The Preference.plist file gets recreated to it's default settings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was finally able to get the Apple Updata (10.5.7) downloaded and installed. I then moved the Library/Preferences/Preference.plist to the desktop and rebooted. Still did not solve the problem. No 9 can be typed without holding down the "alt option" key.

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
The keyboard mapping for your 9 key is messed up. I wish I knew how it happened. Here is a application that will allow you to map it back;
http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/
The other option is to reinstall your operating system.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.