Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I own an Ativa model 7-35854-88723-0. When attempting to transfer

Customer Question

I own an Ativa model 7-35854-88723-0. When attempting to transfer photos from my Apple MacBook Pro to a 2 gigabyte SD media (not HC) for an older (2007) digital frame, the process ends prematurely with the message that the card is full, even though the stated capacity is 1.83 GB and there are 1.48 GB available. What is wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Two things could be wrong. You could have files on the card already taking that space of the files need some overhead to function properly.
You could look at the file structure of the card to see if you could delete anything from the card.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The card is brand new and had no previous files thereon. I bought it specifically because i had the same error message when I tried to load the same photos on a 1 GB SD media
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
You can format the card with Apple's Disk Utility Program located in your Utilities Folder. I know from my own experience that those cards use a lot of space for overhead files. Maybe your picture frame needs space to do what it needs to do.
The botXXXXX XXXXXne is your error message is correct. You do not have enough space to write all that you are trying to write. If you can not get more space you'll have to lower the number of photos your put on the card.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, I don't feel we've found the answer and here's why:
On the 1 GB media the photos consume 463 MB of ram for 289 photos, while on the 2 GB media it consumes slightly less (350 MB) for 302 photos. Could the problem be the Ativa reader device?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
I have never used an Ativa picture frame. I'm a Macintosh specialist. There is very little information about how the SD card works on their web site. You say the larger card has less available memory. It sounds to me like the frame has limits on the amount of memory it will use.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bob,
Let me start at the beginning. The Ativa model 7-35854-88723-0 is not a picture frame. It is an "interface", commonly called a memory card "reader" that I used to move copies of the photos from my Apple MacBook Pro onto the SD memory card. This is where the problem become apparent. Either card works as intended in the digital frame. They just do not contain all the pictures I want to include.

The package of my new PNY 2 GB card indicates that it should hold roughly 900 photos averaging 2 MB each. When it's "filled" with only 302, obviously something is wrong. I may be mistaken, but I no longer believe you will be able to assist in resolving this problem. My next contact will be to PNY.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
In your Utilities folder is a program named Disk Utility. That program will allow you for scan the card for problems, Fix problems the card may have and allow you to reformat the card.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX effort you have extended on behalf of my problem. However, the problem has not been resolved. If you choose to forward the essence of this issue to another expert, that's OK with me. As stated before, my next contact will be to PNY.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
ok