Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

I just got an I phone. My husband already has one and has

Customer Question

I just got an I phone. My husband already has one and has set up to sync his contacts and calendar with with MacBook Pro I so nicely bought him :) Now I am trying to sync mine. It will allow me to add a contact on my phone and will sync to the computer but when I try to add a contact on the computer and sync it doesn't go to my phone. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

Ok, to sync the iPhone, don't connect the iPhone to the computer yet but, open iTunes. This is the important part. Log in or create a user account on the computer for you. You need 2 separate accounts on the computer. So, if he's logged in, log out and login your account. Then log out every time you are done. Then see below for getting your contacts managed in Address Book.

Your iPhone syncs with contacts in your Address Book application. When you add or edit a contact in Address Book you have to make sure the title beside the number you type in is a Home, Work or Mobile. If it is something like Other, it will show up in the iPhone but won't dial. Click the Edit button at the bottom to save the contact in Address Book.

You can also make Groups in Address Book and only add specific groups to sync with the iPhone. Like, I created a new group and titled it Cell Phone by clicking the plus sign at the lower left of the window of Address Book. The in my All Contacts group I drag the only the contacts that I want to sync with my iPhone.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, Rob. I'm not sure if your solution would work but I waited all day for a response and finally called Apple and they solved my problem for free.

Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the slow response. Calling Apple or AT&T was probably best anyway. Come back if we can help you with something else. We'll try to be quicker next time. Experts here don't answer the question if they are iffy on how to answer it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX