Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

We have an emac running 10 something. Somehow my daughter did

Customer Question

We have an emac running 10 something. Somehow my daughter did something and now there is no type anywhere. The login window is just an empty box. You can log in (without seeing your typing). The whole strip across the top is blank too and there is nothing on the desk top. I have never seen anything like this. Any ideas? What did she push to do this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like some fonts were thrown away that are required by the system. Or the fonts have gone corrupt. The only thing you can do at that point is to reinstall your operating system. If you do a Archive and Install you will keep all of your data intact. Here is Apple's instructions on doing a Archive and Install:

Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. If you have different versions of Mac OS X Installer discs (for example, if your computer came with version 10.3 and you later purchased and installed version 10.4), start from the disc that most closely matches the installed Mac OS X version. Usually, that's the latest (newer) version.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key. Or, put it in the computer and click the Install or Restore icon you see in the disc's main window (after which the computer will start from the disc without you needing to hold C.)

Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.
Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.
After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.
Click the volume that you wish to install to.
Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
Select Archive and Install.
Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings. (See notes and Related documents below.)
Click OK.
Click Continue to begin the installation.

Here is Apple's webpage on this information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try this.
My husband actually solved the immediate "crisis" of getting my daughter's digital pictures off of the messed up computer by making it the "slave" and firewiring them together. Luckily my laptop saw the other machine's hard drive. Atleast this way I can get all data off of it and do clean install if necessary.
I still will follow your info to try to fix the machine.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Very good. Since you've done the firewire mode hookup, you could transfer all of the fonts from your working Mac to your Mac that isn't working correctly and see if that fixes the problem.

The main fonts that need to be in the system are in the Hard Drive/System/Fonts

Copy the fonts in this location over to the Mac that isn't working correctly and see if it solves the problem.