Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

i have a sony camcorder that we have recorded a movie onto.

Customer Question

i have a sony camcorder that we have recorded a movie onto. I want to transfer (import) to my apple Macbook. I have a gigaware cord that connects the sony video cam to the mac via a UBS port. how do I transfer the movie to the mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
iMovie on a Mac is looking for a FireWire connection and a different video format. If you wnat to use your Sony, you will have to first import your video then convert the file format.

I've had pretty good success using MPEG Streamclip + Quicktime MPEG-2 Component ($20 from Apple store) to extract video from DVDs from my Sony DVD92 camcorder.

I use a tray loading firewire DVD drive to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the desktop from the mini DVD. In the Streamclip preferences check "fix streams with data breaks" to maintain the audio synchronization. Then, open all the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder and "fix time code breaks", command-F, to merge all the files. Finally, export to DV, MPEG-4, etc.

I'm pretty pleased with the results except for some accelerated video in the transition between some files which lasts for a second or two.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, but you did not get back to me last night in time for me to use your suggestion. I had to bag the project and look into an alternate solution. THanks anyway
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Sorry about the slow response.