MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

re installing osx on an older mac laptop type....macbook white

Customer Question

re installing osx on an older mac laptop type....macbook white not new silver one ..2.0 ghz.

formating macbook laptop hardrive via cd disk ? how to .....
making hardisk ready for clean osx install

have
fire wire cable
new mac desktop
2 install disks cd

i think im going wrong when i have the menu up where u can erase and partion the hard disk
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• -ARCHIVE AND INSTALL-

• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. Please remember to use the install disc that matches the current operating system your system haves.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
• Hold the C key until you see a White screen, with a Gray Apple icon and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.

-Your mac will now boot from the disc and load into the Installer environment.

• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X
Installer window appears.

What you want to do now is from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities>Disk Utility
• you will now be within the Disk Utility application. This is where I will show you how to zero out your hard drive, so you can perform a clean installation of your Mac OS X without any hinderances.

• This is the default window you will first see when Disk Utility opens.
• Select your hard drive.
• There will be a partition tab that you can select if you want to partition your hard drive. Once you have partitioned your drive the way you desire,
• Then select the Erase tab.

graphic

• This is the window you are going to see and use in order to erase your hard drive

graphic

• What you will need to do now, is click the Security Options button

• Depending on which option you would prefer per the descriptions of the selections listed, I would recommend you to select either Don't Erase Data or Zero Out Data as this will clear your hard drive in a standard erase or a low level
format (Zero Out Data), in order to make your hard drive ready to install your Mac OS X version of software.

graphic

• Once you have made your choice, click Ok to commit your choice.
• Now commence to the Erase process.
• Once the hard drive has been erased, click on Disk Utility from the menu bar above and quit the application from the menu.

This will return you back to the Installer window where you can follow the steps below to now install your version of Mac OS X

Back from the Installer window:

• Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
• Follow the prompts until you get to the licensing agreement screen
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with
the license agreement, click Agree. Then Select a
Destination window appears.
• Click the volume that you wish to install to (your primary
hard drive).
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Upgrade or if not available, select Erase and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
• Once the Erase and Install is completed, when you reach your desktop be
sure to run all Software updates to bring your new
Mac OS X directory back up to current.

Let me know if this helps, I will be watching for any updates or questions you may have regarding this procedure.

Regards,

TD

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

as this is the second time this question has been posted i have been told to erase the hard disk before.................

the cd will not boot from the laptop nor is there any info left on the hardrive

all actions i think will have to be done via the second mac using the fire wire cable

if you have msn my messenger is <a href="mailtoXXX@XXXXXX.XXX"Customerhotmail.com

Thanks for your update.

I have seen the previous correspondence your were working with my fellow MacExpert, Rob on.

The issue here however is if the CD (or DVD) that you have will not work, I believe I would need to start from there and ask you if you would not mind providing me:

• What type of discs you have and exactly what is the Mac OS X operating system version that you are attempting to install?

• Also, are they restore discs that came with the macbook you have, or are they install discs that you purchased separately?

• What are the exact models from old to new that you have?
( Note- if both are laptops, simply remove the battery and you will see an identification tag inside the bay which will provide your the model of the Mac . If you wish to provide the serial# XXXXX both that is fine too- but I do need this information in order to help you on this issue)

Please update me on this information, because I am going to have to take a few steps back witrh you, just to make sure you and I are exactly on the same page. This way be more efficient and able to continue assisting you as well as I can.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be awaiting your reply.

-TD