John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I am new to Microsoft Excel and am trying to create a chart/graph

I am new to Microsoft Excel and am trying to create a chart/graph that contains mostly text, the document does not need to formulate anything.

How do I enter text into the boxes, a sentence or two in each box? I want the text to be inside the box and not really long like this: .....................................................................................................................................
I would prefer text that is organized in a compact way like this:
.............
............
............ in each box.

How do I do that in Microsoft Excel 2004 for macs? I have been using the text box but this is very time consuming, I figure there has to be another way!

Thanks, Cynthia
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok try this.

Click in the cell you want to write text in, then from the menu click Format > Cells > Alignment tab, then place a check in the box 'Wrap text' and click OK.

Now start typing in the cell and you will see that the text will fill the cell in the manner you described.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Again,

We're almost there! The text wrap worked, but then stopped working. I tried it on a few cells, but after the 4th time I couldn't access the alignment tab, only the font tab appears, not other options.... Also, I hit a button and now the text is slanted and strange.

Also, I would love to be able to work with text in the boxes easily, highlight letters etc. but excel won't let me. Is there an easier way?
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Cynthia,

If you are able to do it in some cells you should be able to do the same in all cells unless there is some protection on these cells. Try copying the cell in which the wrap works to a cell that is giving you a problem you should be able then edit the text in the new cell.

You can change the font format (i.e. color, size, etc) of any part of the text within a cell, but you cannot apply background color to only part of the cell . To do this select the cell then go up to the Formula Bar, highlight the part of text that you want to format then click on the font color or font size or bold italic etc. When you press enter you will see the changes taking effect in that cell.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.