MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have an HP LaserJet 6MP connected to an iMac G4. I am receiving

Customer Question

I have an HP LaserJet 6MP connected to an iMac G4. I am receiving the message: unable to connect to IPP host: Unknown error: 0. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Also, are you using your HP LaserJet 6MP as a networked printer or are you connecting it to your iMac via USB?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My Mac OS X is 10.4. My printer is connected to my IMac and to my McAir. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your detailed update.

There is still one part of my question that is missing from your detailed answer.
How are you connecting your iMac and Macbook Air to the HP LaserJet 6MP?

This is all I need to know to proceed in troubleshooting this issue for you.

Thanks!

-TD
While you are confirming this information for me, I can say this
error "unable to connect to IPP host: Unknown error: 0"
means that you cannot connect to the connected printer via the network the printer and the computer(s) are connected to.

This is why I needed the one part confirmed from you, regarding the way your iMac and Macbook Air are connected with the printer, Networked or USB connected with one of your Macs.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have an att 2wire gateway system. The iMac is connected to the printer directly and the MacBook Air gets to the printer via the iMac. Roberta