MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Hello I have an I-Mac G5 OS X 10.5.6 that I have in my shop.

Customer Question

Hello
I have an I-Mac G5 OS X 10.5.6 that I have in my shop. I decided to use File Vault to encrypt my data. After the process was completed and I tried to log in I get the following message,

"You are unable to log into the File Vault user account <my name> at this time.
Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred.

Now my access thru the sign-in/password XXXXX page is denying me access with the above message.
Help Please!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
Here are some steps I recommend you try to resolve the issue with

Once it is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)
This should help with the freezing issue:

Shut down the computer.
• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time. Release the keys and allow the Macbook to start up.

I am having you initially try this, just to see if the issue with your inability to login was more due to a system hang up, more than a Filevault password XXXXX issue.

Let me know if this helps, I will be awaiting your reply. Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
TD
I am sorry it takes so long for me to reply...My shop is 30 yards from my home office.
I tried your suggestion twice. I still get the same error message with the same button <okay>, when I click the okay, my password XXXXX and the sign in box jiggles side to side???
Hey Gary, don't worry about that. That is benefit of using email we can always correspond with each other:)

I want you to try this next step, but it requires you having a copy of the Mac OS X 10.5 installation disc that came with your Mac. Do you have that available at this very moment?

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I think so, I have 2 discs: I have iMac G5 install disc 1 version 10.4; and Mac OS X install disc 2 version 1.0 includes Mac OS 9.2
Alright Gary thanks for the confirmation.

Here is what I would like you to try using Mac OS X 10.4 disc 1:

In order to reset your password XXXXX any Mac OS X platform
all you need to do is:

all you need to do is:

BOOT TO TIGER/LEOPARD DISK-
• Place your installation Disk (Tiger or Leopard I presume) into your drive and
allow it to load.
• Restart your Mac
• As soon as you hear the Apple Chime, press the "C" key on your keyboard
and hold it.
• You will see a White Screen, Grey Apple first, do not release the C key until you
see a Spinning gear.
• Once you see that Spinning gear, release your C key and allow the disc to
continue loading

- RESETTING ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD-
(Works for both Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard))

• When the booting to the Mac OS X disc is completed, you will now be in the
Installer environment
• Enter to next page, look up on upper left corner you should see "Installer" near
the Apple menu.
• Two spaces over you should see Utilities. Click Utilities>Reset Password.
• Select your user name from the drop down list and reset your password.
• When you are done, simply exit the Reset Password and Installer and reboot.
• At the Login window, enter your new password XXXXX this should allow you back into your home profile.

Let me know if this helps you get back in, if it does not, keep the install disc in your drive, we will have a little more to do.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello
I am sorry to say I used the Leopard disc and followed your instructions, tried 3 times, didn't work???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Its ok Gary...

Here is a step I would like you to try:

-Reset Administrator Password (Root)-
• Insert your Mac OS X 10.5 Install disc
• Reboot your Mac
• As the Mac reboots, hold the C Key
• Once you see a white screen, with a grey screen and eventually a spinning gear, release the C key and
allow the Mac to boot into the Installer environment.

• Start from your Mac OS X 10.5 Install DVD.
• From the Utilities menu, choose Reset Password (do not choose Firmware
Password XXXXX
).

• Follow the onscreen instructions to reset the root password (the root
account is not the same as your account).

• Select the name of the drive that Mac OS X is installed on, select the user
named "System Administrator (root)" from the pop-up menu, type the
password XXXXX the first field, re-enter the password XXXXX the second field,
then click the Save button.

• Restart from your Mac OS X Leopard volume.
• When the login window appears, select the affected user and log in as root
and use the password XXXXX you created above. See if this will override your
previous username and password XXXXX allow you to log in.

--If it does allow you to log in, go ahead and reset your password XXXXX
System Preferences>Accounts

• Go to Accounts preferences and see if you can reset the password for the affected user account.

• Next click Show All button and click Security >FileVault
• Make sure FileVault is off. If it is on proceed to the next step, and
click the reset Master Password to proceed to set the Master
password XXXXX FileVault (remember, only if the FileVault is displayed as On
within this window.)
• Close the window

• From the Apple menu, choose Log Out root....
• Log in as the user account that had this issue.

Let me know if this process helps.

I await your update. Thanks for your patience!

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Finally I am back.
I was able to get in with reset root password. Also, File Vault was off.
I logged out as root and attempted to go back in accounts and reset gary vogel password XXXXX No success. I would enter original password XXXXX reset and entered new password XXXXX got the following error message.

"Reset password XXXXX" CSSM_ERRCODE_MEMORY_ERROR

So I can access using "root" but can't reset my own password???
Thanks for the detailed update Gary,

Am I to understand that you can get in to your old login account using root, but unable to reset your password XXXXX that User account, is this correct?
Sorry for appearing redundant, but I just want to make sure I am on the same page as you before proceeding.

Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello
I am sorry this has been such a hassle!
Yes you are correct...can't reset user<gary vogel>account password, because of memory error, regarding original password XXXXX???
Hi Gary,

Not a problem, this is what I am here for. I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page with you, so thanks for the confirm.

This is an interesting issue, I am going to require a little time to research this newer development.

In the mean time, I will be responding back to you within the hour, if you do not mind, I do need to determine what is causing this error.

I will update within the hour or sooner. Thanks for being so patient, we will get to the bottom of this issue.

-TD
Thanks for your patience Gary,

If your would, I need you to check to see if two key FileVault files on available on your main hard drive for me.

Here's what you do:
• Click anywhere on the blank window of your desktop
• If you look at the Apple menu icon on the upper left corner of your screen
to the right of this icon you should now see Finder and its menu bar.
• Now from the Finder menu bar, click Go >Go to Folder

graphic

This popup window should appear
•Type in /Library/Keychains
•Now click the Go button

graphic

This will take you to a new Finder window within the System Keychains folder.
What you will need to look for are these 2 FileVault Master files.

FileVaultMaster.cer
FileVaultMaster.keychain

Let me know if you see them.

I am will be waiting for your feedback on this info. Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes they are there:
FileVaultMaster.cer
FileVaultMaster.keychain
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes they are there as you thought
Ok and thanks for your great patience.

Now that you have located the FileVaultMaster.cer and FileVaultMaster.keychain files, if you still have that window open, remove both of those files to the Trash.
Do not delete your Trash just yet, however.

Now log out of your existing Administrator user and when you are at the login screen, see if you can now access the previous user account using the normal password XXXXX used to log in prior to setting the FileVault password.

Let me know how this turns out.

Thanks Gary!

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Didn't work
Error message Reset Password XXXXX OS Status 22

Are you still able to access your original user login with the <root> password?

-TD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I can login using "Root" and password.
What this means is that the Filevault password, with it not working,
has damaged the password XXXXX for your current affected login.

So to override this you are going to have to follow the steps provided directly from Apple Inc.

You could create a Filevault Master password XXXXX attempt to access your login user with this method. Here is the process from Apple Inc, I am referring to. It is detailed and with your Root access, you should be able to follow this guide to set up your Master Password, so you can use a regular password XXXXX this now encrypted Home Folder.

Setting a FileVault Master Password (for Mac OS X 10.4)

Try this and let me know the final outcome. I hope this is the fix you and I have been working toward.

Thanks for being so patient Gary!

-TD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
TD-Am I still active?
Good morning!
I am sorry I had to quit last night, I couldn't concentrate.

I tried the, Setting A FileVault Master Password(for Mac OSX10.4) <Note: I have Leopard 10.5.6>
Still can't access initial sign in unless I use "root" and password.

When I tried to change the FileVault Master PassWord, I got error message @ sign in: "You are unable to log in to the FireVault" user account "gary vogel" at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred. CSSM_ERROR_MEMORY_ERROR
Seems it has forgotten original password/or it is not being recognized thus blocking my initial attempt to enter original password XXXXX change to new password???
I am on the subject computer now by entering by "root" and new password. I should be able to respond more quickly.   I assure you that if we can get this fixed, I will up the fee.
thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello I have sent you a reply. I was working with TD and tried his suggestions till 2:52 AM we started at 5:56 PM. I quit after trying his last suggestion... I did make a deposit, but I still have not fixed my problem. Am I still eligible for more assistance till my problem is resolved? Please read my previous reply.
thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anyone dealing with my problem? I have been waiting for a conformation that I am going to be helped? thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the last instructions i received did not work. i still have a problem. I WILL PAY MY FEE and more, but i want more assistance! I have tried your customer service to no avail. i am very disappointed in your lack of response to my requests!!! not a very good way to get return business. i have no problem with my tech it is the customer assistance that is lacking!!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
see last 4 replies I am waiting for response. Please