Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

I have a Mac G4 dual 867. I am getting a messge that I dont

I have a Mac G4 dual 867. I am getting a messge that I don't have enough start up disc space in order to complete a CAD type operation. How do I do that?
HelloCustomer

It sounds like your hard drive is full. First, I would try emptying the trash can by going to Finder menu -> Empty Trash to see if it clears up enough space to make the message go away. If that doesn't fix it, then you need to delete some files off of the drive (preferably data files that you know what they are). You can copy them to an external hard drive or flash drive if you want to preserve them.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn,

That doesn't tell me anything new. I have deleted lots of files, put my big folders on external drives and emptied the trash. Isn't there something else I can do now?
HelloCustomer

Hmm, it sounds as if something might be corrupted then. Does the error occur in a particular application? What are you doing when it pops up?

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in a CAD program, VectorWorks and attempting to copy and paste a rendered large file drawing from a single page to one where I can include all of the drawings on one page.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in a CAD program, VectorWorks and attempting to copy and paste a rendered large file drawing from a single page to one where I can include all of the drawings on one page. Its graphically intense, I know!
HelloCustomer

Okay. Let's try some general system maintenance to see if that cleans up the problem.

First, let's check how much space is left on your hard drive. Double-click on your hard drive icon in the finder. It should say at the bottom of the window how much space is available. What is that number?

Next, the maintenance. I'd like you to:

1) Clean up the hard drive by booting into Safe Mode, and then rebooting back into normal mode. Instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

2) Repairing file system permissions by following these instructions:
https://kb.iu.edu/data/aoxn.html

Give those things a try and let me know how they work for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn,

This is what is there but I don't think this is the answer you are looking for:
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:     Power Mac G4
Machine Model:     PowerMac3,6
CPU Type:     PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs:     2
CPU Speed:     867 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):     256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU):     1 MB
Memory:     1.25 GB
Bus Speed:     133 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     4.4.8f2

I know I just saw this somewhere else so I'll find that.
HiCustomer

Thank you for the information! That's helpful, but I also need a bit more. Give this a try.

In the finder, choose Go menu > Computer
A window will pop up on the screen. At the bottom of that window it should tell you something like "5 items, 100 MB available". What does it say at the bottom of your window?

Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I only have 3.84 GB. I have ordered more RAM but is that going to help me with my Start up disc issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn,

I'm going to clean up the hard drive so I'll be back as soon as I get done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn,

Done with the clean up. Anything else I can do?
HiCustomer

I'm sorry, but I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Can you tell me exactly what it says at the bottom of that finder window that I mentioned before? (e.g., 3.84 GB available, or 3.84 GB total, or something else). The terminology is very confusing and unfortunately slight differences can mean drastically different things.

Ordering more RAM will help your machine run a bit faster, but won't solve the problem you are encountering. There are two kinds of memory in a computer: RAM and the hard disk drive. The hard disk drive is where your files are stored, while RAM is what applications use as temporary space while they're running. The problem you're running into is that your hard drive is full (at least, according to the error message).

Let me know about the 3.84 GB and that'll tell me how we should move forward.

Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just to clarify I did this

and then had to get info from File. It says available 3.84 and capacity 57.26

glad to hear back from you, I was afraid I wouldn't!
HiCustomer

Okay, thank you so much for the clarification, that helps a lot! My apologies for the delayed response - I had to go to class. You have plenty of hard drive space left, so the next likely culprit is the software application itself. Let's try a simple fix first, deleting the preferences.

1) Close VectorWorks if it is open already
2) In the finder, choose Go menu > Home
3) Double-click on the Library folder
4) Double-click on the Preferences folder
5) Find any files with names like "net.nemetescheck.vectorworks" and drag them out of the Preferences folder to the desktop
6) Open the VectorWorks application and see if the error comes back.

Let me know how this works for you! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn

should I drag the Vectorworks 12 Prefs and net.nemetshcek.VectorWorks.plist to the desktop?
Yes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oh, you are wonderful Shawn! I'm so excited to have the program working the way that I want. I'd like to pay you more money so I'm going to look into it but if you know how, let me know. Unfortunately I can't do allot more but some is better than none!
HelloCustomer

Wonderful, I'm so happy that it's working for you now! Thanks for sticking with me through all of the troubleshooting, I appreciate it! Thank you too for the offer of a bonus - when you click "Accept" it will give you a chance to leave a bonus if you would like.

Thanks again, and happy CADding! Best regards,

Shawn