Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I write on behalf of a friend who is having problems with the

Customer Question

I write on behalf of a friend who is having problems with the iBook G4 I passed on to her last year. Whenever she opens Netowrk Preferences she gets a clinging window with the message "Your network configuration has changed" and even if you press OK, or no matter what you do, it will never close or let you do anything else. The only way to get out is by Force Quit. This happens since she upgraded Firefox to the latest version a few weeks ago, although I am not sure the two things are related. How can you stop this from happening?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
In a FINDER window navigate to ~/Library/Preferences and move the file preferences.plist to the desktop.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Also move com.apple.NetworkUtility.plist to the desktop.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Bob. I will give this instructions to her and let you know if she was able to to this.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
OK let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

I found this thread at Apple Discussions. It describes a fix.

Make sure to write down your network settings first as this process will delete all your network settings. You will need to re-type them all in to get access to the network and other net services.

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (from your Hard drive, not the Home Folder) and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Another way to fix it is to very quickly click on the Pop-up menu behind the error message right after you click on it.
Delete any Location and then re-create it and the message goes away. This has also worked for some people.

Apple is aware of this and hopefully will fix it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike,
I'm a bit confused as had already received some advice from Bob. Is this complementary?
In any case I will pass on the instructions to my friend and see how she goes. It will take some time as she has limited availability and I have to translate it all to Spanish.
I´ll write with the outcome.
Thank you very much.
Isabel
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
yes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike and Bob,

Sorry I am not able to give you an update yet. I live in Barcelona and my friend is in Madrid, and our timetables coincide very little, so this may take a few days. It will be a slow process - I hope you don't mind.

Thanks a lot

Isabel
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Looks like she is managing for the moment so we have not tried the advice - looks a bit complicated though. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
OK. We'll be here.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting