Dave Huber
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.

Do not have write access to import music into iTunes. I have

Customer Question

Do not have write access to import music into iTunes. I have run permission repair utility, and set permissions in each individual file, and entire user file. Works on Mine (dad) but not kids. Recent problem with Livrivox book downloads not encountered before.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dave Huber replied 5 years ago.

Assuming your iTunes music folder is in the default location, this may be your solution. The iTunes Music folder is usually found within the Music folder of the user's home folder.
If your iTunes Music folder is NOT inside the folder called "Music" inside your home folder, please let me know.

• Log into the account that contains the iTunes music folder. It needs to be an admin account.

• Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal

• in the resulting Terminal window, type (or copy/paste) the following but DO NOT PRESS RETURN:

sudo chmod -R 777 ~/Music

• you will now need to type your account password XXXXX press Return. You will not see that you are typing anything.

• When you see the prompt (it will be some text followed by your_user_name$), quit Terminal

• Try importing your music now. I believe it will be fixed.

Good luck,

Dave
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried it on my admin acct. I did have to hit enter to get the password XXXXX if I did not, my password XXXXX behind the code I pasted in. I am going to go back to the admin acct next (on kids now and does not work) to see where I have the music. It may be in a different file as we tranferred files from an older mac. Will be back after take a kid to practice....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help! Your fix would have worked, except that I was looking in the wrong file (my music with the transfer from the other mac is on the hard drive, not in my admin files) and I had not changed that file to write/read - just all other music file within users) that was the problem, and I fixed it after you mentioned to check specifically what file the music was in. Brain fart on my part. At any rate you certainly deserve to be paid - which I will, and instead of signing up for Apple Care for $169.00 for the next 2 years will use you instead as you seem to know your stuff! All is working now.

Thanks
I'm so glad I could help you out. You can ask for me by name any time you come back. If it is a matter of urgency, you'd be best to take whoever is available, but if it can take the kind of pace we had today, by all means, just say "For Dave Huber: " in the opening text of your question. <br /> <br />Take care and good luck, <br /> <br /> <br />Dave