Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

Hi there I have an 80 gig (I think) and an imac and my external

Customer Question

Hi there I have an 80 gig (I think) and an imac and my external is no longer working. It is going through the motions of trying, but seems as if it is just spinning inside (light is blinking) but computer is not acknowleding for time machine. I have had this external for about a year and it has worked and i just noticed this problem for about a week now.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Oh no! Let's see if we can fix the drive with software. I'd like you to:

1) Go to Applications folder and double click on Utilities
2) Open Disk Utility
3) Does your external drive show up in the list on the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window? If it does, click on it and click the "Repair Disk" button.

Let me know what happens when you do that, or if it doesn't work.

Kind regards,

Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience: 15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was there! however, when I click on it the disk repair is not highlighted so I cant click on it... only verify disk is highlighted (this is in the first aid tab
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was there! however, when I click on it the disk repair is not highlighted so I cant click on it... only verify disk is highlighted (this is in the first aid tab.
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Make sure you've clicked on the name of your disk - Repair Disk should be highlighted when you click on it.

Let me know how that works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
positive! I have run verify disk and there are several things in red so far:

Incorrect number of thread records (2 times_
Incorrect number of file hard links
invalid directory item count (it should be 98085 instead of 98108)
invalid directory item count (it should be 0 insead of 2
invalid diretory item count (ti should be 9 instead of 11)
invalid directory item count (it should be 18118 instead of 18119)

ok, there are too many to keep putting down. Now it says

First Aid failed
disk utility stopped verifying "time machine backups" because the following error was encountered"
Filesystem verify or repair failed.

and under that on the acutal verifying it says
Invalid sibling link
volume check failed
Error: Filesystem verfiy or repair failed
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Great, thank you so much for the detailed results! They help a lot.

The error that the drive has is too serious for Disk Utility to work. You have a few options:

1) There's a slightly complex solution that involves typing some stuff into the terminal to try and fix the drive. I can give you instructions on how to do this.

2) You can purchase the program DiskWarrior, which should clean up the problem (it's a lot better than Apple's Disk Utility). http://www.alsoft.com

3) You can reformat the drive

Solution 1 is free but is not guaranteed to work. Solutions 2 and 3 will most likely work, unless it's a hardware issue. My guess is that it's not - these kinds of errors are usually caused by power outages or unplugging the drive while it's still mounted.

Let me know how you wish to proceed and I'll help. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if I reformat, wont I loose all the work I have on it? I do alot of photo and make dvds for people and I save them on the external hard drive. wold the clean up solution be better? is it very expensive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i see that the disk repair is 100.00. is it possible to try the hard way first? can you send me the details directly to my e-mail? I have to go for now and wont be able to do right now. Also, if I accept and make payment, will I be able to come back to this issue with you? or will I loose contact with you? I want to pay because you have been helpful, but I dont want to have to go through all this issue again with someone else...

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Yes, if you reformat the drive you'll loose everything on it. The DiskWarrior solution is the best option (I use the program all the time, it's great), but is expensive as you pointed out.

Here's how to do the hard way.

1) Connect your external drive and turn it on.
2) Follow these instructions, but instead of looking for your internal drive, try to find the external drive in the list:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070204093925888

Let me know how that works for you. You can accept now or later - either is fine - and can come back to this same thread either way and post follow-up messages. It's up to you.

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank You!