Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

i have forgoting my ussers password XXXXX can not log on what

Customer Question

i have forgoting my ussers password XXXXX can not log on what do i do now
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reset Password XXXXX Mac OS Disks
  • The first thing you need is the Mac OS X install disk, if you don’t have it buy a copied version of the same or borrow it from your friend.
  • Turn on the mac and insert the disk. After the disk inserted Turn Off mac by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds.
  • Then Restart your Mac. When the startup bell (or custom sound) chimes, hold down the "C" key. The "C" key will prompt your Mac to boot from CD/DVD. Please be patient as it may take your machine a bit longer to boot.
  • For Mac OS X Pre-10.4, please navigate to the Installer menu and select the Reset Password XXXXX
    2. For Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or higher, please navigate to the Utilities menu and select the Reset Password XXXXX
graphic
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
  • Change your administrative password XXXXX save it using the Reset Password XXXXX
graphic
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
After the resetting the password, click on ‘quit’. You will get to know your new administrator password XXXXX your computer will restart
.
To reset your OS X password XXXXX an Mac OS X CD or DVD (for Tiger and Leopard),

• Reboot your Mac
• Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.
• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now
(dont make any changes, write like this)
After rebooting, you should have a window to enter the brand new Administrator account.

Let Me Know how it goes before Accepting....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are happy with my answer, please click ACCEPT. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am using a diffefent keyboard called TECHNIKA wireless what will be the apple conmand key on this keyboard
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I think wireless keyboard will not work in this situation. Because wireless keyboard will only work when Mac OS starts up. To do this you need the wired keyboard.

Anyway, give a try. I think Command key is the control key in windows keyboard (May be the windows Key)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my computer startsup and the keyboard and maues works but i cant log on to my own screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS installation/restore disks ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay... Are you able to Log in to Single UserMode like i suggested in my previous answer ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

y

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
you meant yes...then type these command excatly and let me know the results

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i can t remember my password XXXXX the single ussers mode and thats my problem. eg paul kamara

password [ ]

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
You don't have to remember the password XXXXX you don't need the password XXXXX Single User Mode. The commands in the Single UserMode will help you to create new administrator account and with that account you can reset or change your current accounts password. Its very easy...Just follow my instructions carefully
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there are two users accounts but i cant logg in to either
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Are you sure that you understood my answer....Do you know what i mean Single user Mode...its just like terminal (command prompt in windows) or Unix screen.
You can enter into SUM by holding down Apple Command key + S key ) while booting mac after the chime sound...

Please reply when you are in Single User Mode
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would i be able to replace my MAC OS X with WINDOWS XP on this apple system instead
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your effort i will try something else.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
You can just replace it..but why ?. If you have the Mac OS installation disks then you can easily reset the password. Borrow the disk from your firend and enjoy !

I am going to offline, if you still need help just post a reply and i will get to you as soon as possible.