Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Good morning - I have a PowerBook 17 1.5Ghz running OS X Tiger

Good morning - I have a PowerBook 17" 1.5Ghz running OS X Tiger (10.4.??) - Yesterday, my PowerBook was running just fine - with it still powered on, I closed the lid and ran some errands. When I returned a few hours later, I opened it open, logged in and all appeared normal. When I started to open something up and close something else down - the system appeared hung (spinning cog). I forced a power down by holding the power button down for about 5 seconds. When I went to power it back on, it chimes as normal, then just goes to a grey screen - crap.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
I need some information from you.

Which version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Do you have the Mac OS installation/ restore disks ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unsure of the version - it's 10.4.something (Tiger) and I don't have the original disks, but I did purchase Leopard yesterday, so I have that. I also have my data backed up via Mosey (internet based service).
We need the Tiger disk to repair the disk....okay try this

Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (APPLE) key and the S keys at the same time.
You should see some text on the screen and then it will stop to type something..
Type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.
When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Let me know how it goes before Accepting the answer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No luck - just goes to the grey screen. FYI, I am a seasoned UNIX guru, just not a Mac expert...
Try this : Reset PRAM and NVRAM : Click Here
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, done - I did this yesterday as well (forgot to mention that, sorry)... Back to the grey screen.
If it not worked then we must re-install Tiger or repair the disk with Tiger Disk. Any chance to get the Tiger Disk ?

You said that you have the Leopad disks. So do you want to install Leopad. But all your data will toast when you do a clean installation of Leopad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think that I might be OK with a fresh install - all my important data has been backed up via Mosey (internet based backup service). I was not successful booting from DVD yesterday...
Turn On the Mac and Insert the Mac OS X Leopard installation DVD. Restart your Mac again. Now, when you hear the Mac Chime/Starup sound press and hold c till the installation windows appears. Now you can proceed by following the on-screen instruations.

Restart and Insert the Mac OS installation disks and hold down Shift Key, when you see the Hard disk and the cd drive icons, select the cd and press return.

There is another way to save your full data from your Mac....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried the boot up option with holding the shift key and I now have a light purple screen with two buttons - one button has a semi-cirle with an arrow (refresh?) and the other has a arrow pointing to the right (continue?) and the mouse pointer is a watch - clicking on either icon does nothing - as I am typing this, I tried again, but now the mouse no longer responds...
What happens when you hold down the c key while booting ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK - we're making progress - the installer loaded... I launched the Disk Utility tool and it sees the hard disk - that's a good start. Are we able to do anything at this point to validate the hard disk?
What you actually meant by "validate hard disk" ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, the system won't boot from the hard disk right now... So, can we run the file system check routine (fsck) from the disk utility tool - or something else to determine the state of the hard disk?
Don't run disk utility from the Leopad disks.....May be it will entirely corrupt your files!
Wait...Why don't we try this, the hard disk is not loading. So here it is :

Running Disk Utility

• Once on the Installer screen, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.
• Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
• Click the First Aid tab.
• Select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. (Do this also, Repair Permission and verify disk)
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Please refer this also, may be this will help you
How to Install Leopad : Click Here
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I ran the "verify" from disk utility after my last reply to you and get the following:

(Invalid B-tree node size Volume check failed Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.) Sounds like the inode table is corrupt. I am going to try the repair function...

Try it or do a clean installation.
Don't forget to refer this : How to Install Leopad : Click Here

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
At this point, I believe that we have gone as far as we can go with diagnosing my problem. Looks to be a corrupt hard disk. I thank you for your assistance with this.
Thank you very much for accepting my answer and the positive feedback. I enjoyed working with you and your accurate responses. Thanks
Best Regards,